Patch: Variable-Width Small Font for Longer Names

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
Awesome work!
Can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

I recently began attempting a similar task (albeit way hackier... pre-rendered 2bpp strings), but have yet to really nail the DMA song & dance when battle is in progress (needed for items, spells, etc.)
So, hopefully I can learn a thing or two. Wink

(12-09-2020, 01:52 AM)tachiweasel Wrote: If I get time I might try using the variable-width font in more places, like item names. Or feel free to send patches Smile

The first thing may be to address the conflict you have with the big font (?), which I hope is not insurmountable.
A lot of other names (like items) frequently display alongside big font text within the field menu.

But that's the dream -- getting legit (or at least legit-looking) variable width font across the game.

My assumption has always been that doing true variable width font would be too slow for large amounts of menu text and would require the scrolling effect to work.
But I could be very wrong! Even typing that out felt overly pessimistic about the SNES. Can anyone weigh in?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: Variable-Width Font for Long Enemy Names - by SilentEnigma - 12-09-2020, 05:52 PM