Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Error in Imp affecting call monster sprite

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
I must admit I've lost the plot since last fall, so bear with me...

(03-13-2021, 11:31 AM)assassin Wrote: re #1: no, the living is in the 1st slot, and the undead in the 2nd.  are you by chance using Dragonsbrethren's SrBehemoth fix, which puts a non-present living SrBehemoth in the 2nd formation's 1st slot so its data-dictated prize will be given after the 2nd battle?

but i reckon the first thing to do is test my theory by trying the Imping and battle transition without DB's patch applied, and see whether the problems go away or even decrease.

Huh. My investigation may well have been with Dragonsbrethren's fix applied at some point. Or I was making lazy assumptions  Confused
However, I can confirm that the symptoms are the same even without Dragonsbretheren's patch applied. That is: if you apply Imp Skimp 1.4 on vanilla, then beat the living SrBehemoth while it is Imp'd, the undead SrBehemoth will be invisible, etc.

(03-13-2021, 11:31 AM)assassin Wrote: when that's combined with a patch that is more vigilant about setting $62C2 flags and redrawing things, the graphical weirdness results!

Taking a guess, Leet Sketcher may have tried covering all bases by replacing every call to $257C, without necessarily knowing the context of each one.
I don't see any benefit to running the check when a new enemy appears, or when an enemy regenerates, so doing any more rocket surgery to accommodate those cases feels unnecessary at this point.
(Am I in the ballpark here?)

I am comfortable with sticking to the following...

(03-12-2021, 12:21 PM)Dev J Wrote: Wondering if anyone could update Imp Skimp with the fix, to a standalone patch?

I don't want to rev Imp Skimp myself (yet...), but try applying the attached patch on top of Imp Skimp 1.4. This will apply the fix I posted earlier:
Code:
Executes upon new enemy appearing (i.e. SrBehemoth; start of battle)
> Imp Skimp v1.4:
C1/9369: 20 1B D7    JSR $D71B
> Fixed (Original FF3us v1.0):
C1/9369: 20 7C 25    JSR $257C

Executes upon enemy regenerating (i.e. Pugs; undead+Doom)
> Imp Skimp v1.4:
C1/93C5: 20 1B D7    JSR $D71B
> Fixed (Original FF3us v1.0):
C1/93C5: 20 7C 25    JSR $257C

The attached patch is for unheadered FF3us 1.0 + ImpSkimp 1.4.
Of course, make a backup first!

.zip  ImpSkimp_SrBehemoth-Pugs-Fix_SE_NH.zip (196 bytes, 2 downloads)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Error in Imp affecting call monster sprite - by SilentEnigma - 03-21-2021, 10:51 PM