Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
I concur with CV on the Gungho dialog.

(08-10-2020, 04:46 AM)assassin Wrote: i would like to know what the subject was in the original Japanese.

I think KWhazit is speaking to FF6j directly here, indicating that the subject is similarly ambiguous in the original (underlined):
Quote:One with painfully awkward translation, though part of it is understandable given that one of the lines is used as third-person in one case and second-person in the other. I've compensated by avoiding a subject, which works well enough in a conversation.
I'm not sure how (or if) GBA deals with it, although I do know the line is still given in the second person. If it wasn't considered a bug in Japanese, then it is probably not fixed in GBA.

That said, I think KWhazit's particular wording is more than a little awkward:
Quote:Strove to hunt the legendary monster Hidden when younger, but gave up partway through...

Lina Darkstar omitted the subject, too, and sacrificed some fidelity to get a more natural-sounding result:
Quote:Strove so hard to hunt that legendary monster, but quit along the way....
(Note: There is no indication that Lina Darkstar was aware of the problem with this line in English, so the lack of subject here further supports KWhazit's assessment of the original line.)

An early draft of my project has this:
Quote:Strove as a youth to hunt the legendary monster Hidon, only to give up and quit before finding it...
(Incorporates a touch of GBA near the end. As usual, feel free to use/modify if it suits your fancy.)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • assassin (10-18-2020)

Messages In This Thread
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by SilentEnigma - 08-12-2020, 02:44 PM
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by REDTITAN - 10-06-2021, 11:12 PM