Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
(05-01-2020, 11:46 PM)CVReynolds Wrote: I'm having some trouble with the Gau makeover scene, though. I don't really want to borrow the GBA's clown/crown wordplay...

I don't blame you any there!
Are you sure you want to call Woolsey's take an "error," though? It seems to me Woolsey deliberately chose not to localize the pun from the original, opting instead to replace it with his own gag (which isn't half bad -- Cyan is a known klutz who sometimes loses track of his possessions).

If it helps, here's a summary of my work on this line...

Roughly literal:
Quote:Cayenne: This would be a fine hat!
"No sensu [Katakana: modern slang for 'fashion sense', from English 'sense' / a folding fan]..."
Cayenne: Wh, what! How is this supposed to be a sensu [Kanji: folding fan]?"

...The GBA rendering...
Quote:Cyan: Cyan: Now this is a fine and jaunty little hat!
"Maybe if he were a clown..."
Cyan: What was that? If he wore a crown? Ha! We don't want his father thinking he's some kind of prince, now, do we? ...
The problem here is that it turns the cultural misunderstanding into a simple case of bad hearing (or Slattery making fun of Japanese-to-English R/L mistranslations).
The word "clown" is very old and Cyan should have recognized it.

Here's kWhazit's rendering:
Quote:Cayenne: Such a hat as this would be splendid.
"Such awful taste..."
Wh-what! Why would anyone taste it!?
The problem here is that "taste" in the former sense is not exactly modern slang either, so it still does not make much sense that Cyan would misinterpret the word.

Here's my project's attempt:
Quote:Cyan "Now this is a fine and jaunty little hat!"
Sabin "...Can't imagine anything less hip..."
Cyan "His hip!? 'Tis not a belt-pouch! 'Twould go rightly on his head, would it not?"
The advantage of using "hip" is that it is modern slang, so the cultural misunderstanding aspect of the original is kept intact.
The minor drawback here is that Cyan's misinterpretation of the word refers not to the hat itself, but to the place where the hat would be worn.

If I were to cast the "hip" solution onto Woolsey's rendering instead of Slattery's, it might look something like this:
Quote:Cyan: What a jaunty hat!
"Not hip at all..."
Cyan: Wh-what!? Why would he ever wear a hat on his hip?"

Good luck! Sweat Pummel
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • CVReynolds (05-03-2020)

Messages In This Thread
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by SilentEnigma - 05-02-2020, 12:21 PM
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by REDTITAN - 10-06-2021, 11:12 PM