Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
Finishing Off The Complete Roster Hack

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Moog
(01-26-2020, 07:56 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: Amazing work, and one of the biggest remaining hurdles to releasing a full Complete Roster hack! I tried a couple of different iterations of this, and everything worked except the shop tile override. The shop tile override actually does work for spritesheets 0E and 0F, but all of the other actors end up turning into Locke and Celes.

I think that it's important this is fixed. Replacing the Soldier and Imp spritesheets is not really an option, as it messes up the Imp status and 1/3 of the NPCs in the game. Pretty much everyone who uses this hack is going to either expand the spritesheets or use a different character.

My bad, the notes that ended up in the zip were the wrong copy of the file... the BNE should be D0 02, not D0 08.
What's happening is the last two lines are used to change the tiles off their default calculated position (D5/0000, or the start of Terra's Spritesheet).  Variable A is applied as an offset in multiples of $16A0, or one actor's worth of tiles.  This shift is then saved with the command STA $211C.

The override works by loading a static number instead of the character index stored at $E3.  Because $E3 is never changed, only the character pair in question gets the static number fed to the tile pointer.

The old notes were skipping past that STA, which is why it was showing Locke and Terra instead of the proper actors.  I'll update the file as soon as I've made sure everything's straightened out.
EDIT: Fixed. I'd uploaded the wrong version of the zip file, which is why it didn't even have the riding chocobo patches in it.
The patch is updated in the earlier post. Both versions now have the graphics override routine already applied, it can be found at C3/FDF1 and to change the character pair, the value at C3/FDF8 should be altered (from 0F or 14 to any value 00 to 14).

It is important to note that regardless of the pair you pick, Actor E will have to share a palette with the brown Imperial Soldier. This is because of how the save OAM works, since Soldier's menu palettes are determined by event bit $103 (Stole an officer's uniform as Locke). The only way to separate this and allow free palette selection for Actor E is to move all event calls for bit $103 to another bit [There are 30 such calls during the South Figaro scenario], set $103 AFTER Locke's scenario ends, and change the corresponding OAM palettes of Soldier 2 to whatever palette Actor E is meant to possess. This also means that Locke's soldier disguise will look identical to Biggs and Wedge, necessitating some palette swaps in South Figaro and a dialogue tweak about brown soldiers, or changing Biggs and Wedge to green and setting $103 during the intro, to be cleared when Locke's scenario ends.
Actor F is free to display any palette you please, as Imp does not display in save files.

Palettes for OAM are represented by the following numbers:
Code:
    Palettes are represented by the following numbers, there are 4 per character
    35 (0), 37 (1), 39 (2), 3B (3), 3D (4), 3F (5)

Actor E (Default Soldier)
D8/EE7E:
02 80 01 E0 37 80 11 E2 37 02 80 00 E4 37 80 10 E6 37

Actor F (Default Imp)
D8/EE90:
02 80 01 E8 35 80 11 EA 35 02 80 00 EC 35 80 10 EE 35

If you wanted to change Actor E's palette to 04, you'd replace the four '37's with '3D's, like this:
02 80 01 e0 _3D_ 80 11 e2 _3D_ 02 80 00 e4 _3D_ 80 10 e6 _3D_

--------
EDIT: I took a cursory look at the BeyondChaos Gogo scrolling status menu, and there most definitely is too much code required for the existing freespace available in the game, even if no other free bytes had been used.
Which raises an interesting question... where do you want to go from here?
(1) We could apply BeyondChaos's base game upgrades before the existing full roster patch and check for compatibility problems.
(2) We could scrap the idea of making Gogo's menu scroll and simply remove some abilities from that menu. A good candidate is "Fight". The menu is only one command too long thus far.
(3) We change that menu completely... possibly borrowing code from the RAGE or MAGIC menu.

(1) and (2) I can look into, but (3) is beyond me at present; UI is a weak spot for me.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finishing Off The Complete Roster Hack - by C-Dude - 01-26-2020, 08:48 PM