* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pertinence of a ff6hacking.com Wiki

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 237
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-16-2016, 05:06 PM)Catone Wrote: The pros of a wiki, generally tend to be its biggest cons as well. Such as, anyone can edit it. Sure, if enough are working toward keeping it all correct and good, then it works. On the other hand, we are all not without enemies, and we've all met people that promote stupidity to prove themselves great.

We can require forum credentials or even authorize someone to be able to edit the wiki. We can also set admins to approve the added content and edits. It's faster to review 2 entries from a trusted user than writing yourself the two entries or worst, being the only person that can write entries because others lack the knowledge or are unauthorized to make one (forum permission).

(02-16-2016, 05:06 PM)Catone Wrote: My real question is what would be left for the forum at all if that much of the load is passed on to wiki format?  Sure it wouldn't/shouldn't turn the entire heart of the forum into another wiki (I don't think it would), but really what would remain in forum format after doing that?

Most wiki look awful. However it can be integrated to the forum and look nice. Example: http://wiki.metroidconstruction.com/doku.php

There are multiple wiki engines, I'm sure I can find one that permit integration and content styling. What will be left? Everything that we don't put in the wiki. The forum will remain. I wouldn't mind seeing some pages and sticky threads no longer being commented disappear. Information is scattered all over the place and I think a centralization would help. However there will always be people that will not look at anything regardless o how well it is integrated and post a thread asking a link to an editor, wiki or not.

(02-16-2016, 05:06 PM)Catone Wrote: I see the reason behind such an idea, and it WOULD have several advantages. I just get the feeling it wouldn't work out for the best, or simply never get past the startup point. Don't really have a legit reason for that feeling so take it as you will (or possibly ignore altogether).

You might be right. For now, I'm just trying to see if removing the fact that I'm the only one who can update most pages and edit stuff would bring more involvement. If that thread remains a discussion between me and you, it's a sign that people are not interested. In the end however I want to be less required for the forum (coding wise) and lower my potential workload.

Thanks for the input!
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Pertinence of a ff6hacking.com Wiki - by madsiur - 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM
RE: Pertinence of a ff6hacking.com Wiki - by madsiur - 02-16-2016, 05:53 PM