* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Pertinence of a ff6hacking.com Wiki

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
The pros of a wiki, generally tend to be its biggest cons as well. Such as, anyone can edit it. Sure, if enough are working toward keeping it all correct and good, then it works. On the other hand, we are all not without enemies, and we've all met people that promote stupidity to prove themselves great.

Just for instance, lets say I wamted to be an ass, went in and added a random value between 99-269 to every offset in the wiki. Might be months before anyone would actually notice the damage, and after some idea of just how much damage had been done, pretty much every offset or posted code would have to be considered incorrect until confirmed, or all scrapped.

Sure, I'm talking worst case, really dedicated, user or former user who got upset. Not something that's going to happen but yes it could. Would almost need dedicated personel to police the wiki rather than the occasional volunteer. But really I'm just throwing this concept out there for the sake of argument.

My real question is what would be left for the forum at all if that much of the load is passed on to wiki format? Sure it wouldn't/shouldn't turn the entire heart of the forum into another wiki (I don't think it would), but really what would remain in forum format after doing that?

I see the reason behind such an idea, and it WOULD have several advantages. I just get the feeling it wouldn't work out for the best, or simply never get past the startup point. Don't really have a legit reason for that feeling so take it as you will (or possibly ignore altogether).

That being said, if possible I would attempt to help with such an endevor eventually. Right now, and most likely for the next while I'm to busy to even get proper sleep, (hence the lacking of pointless shoutbox spam I haven't been posting lately) but eventually I would try to contribute.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Pertinence of a ff6hacking.com Wiki - by madsiur - 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM
RE: Pertinence of a ff6hacking.com Wiki - by Catone - 02-16-2016, 05:06 PM