The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Crossover Crisis (demo abviable)

Threads: 94
Thanks Received: 17
Thanks Given: 26
Status
Charmed
I'm pretty sure all of you (read: two people) have been wondering what I was working on and why was asking so many questions for.

Crossover Crisis is a FFVI Hack I've been working on. 

I've always liked video games, and since I wasn't a kid that had a lot of stuff to think about, I imagined this "world" where all my favorite characters co-existed in harmony and all that good stuff. I wasn't exactly able to completely remove these thoughts as I grew up, so this little "universe" in my head kept growing up.
I discovered FFVI hacks while wandering about on YouTube, and I saw this as an opportunity to have some of my favorite characters as bosses. And when I would later discover what else you could do in a FFVI hack my interest peaked when I realized I could actually "play" the universe I had been building since I was little.

This aptly named hack is basically a giant mish-mash of all my favorite video game franchises; To elaborate, here's the playable cast, and the franchise they belong. Each of these franchises will feature other additions, like enemies, or NPCs:

[Image: terra_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4g9zy.png] Terra (Final Fantasy); 
[Image: headdy_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4g9z7.png] Headdy (Dynamite Headdy); 
[Image: uberhero_yarida_16_bit_portrait_by_kugaw...a4ge53.png] Yarida Uberhero (Patapon); 
[Image: athena__by_kugawattan-dboy8sz.png] Athena (Borderlands);
[Image: twila_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4dgj7.png] Twila (Rayman);
[Image: bartz_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4g9z1.png] Bartz (Final Fantasy);
[Image: tella_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4g9zt.png] Tella (TF2 Freaks); 
[Image: ness_by_kugawattan-dboy8t6.png] Ness (Earthbound);
[Image: paula_by_kugawattan-dboy8t1.png] Paula (Earthbound);
[Image: coco_bandicoot_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawa...a79oe8.png] Coco Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot);
[Image: avgn_by_kugawattan-da4gcnm.png] Angry Video Game Nerd (Angry Video Game Nerd); 
[Image: tasslehoff_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4g9zp.png] Tasslehoff Burrfott (Dragonlance); 
[Image: gilgamesh_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da79oep.png] Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy); 
[Image: conkeldurr_16_bit_portrait_by_kugawattan-da4gde8.png] Conkeldurr (Pokemon); 

"Crossover Crisis" is a mostly graphical hack. As such, you shouldn't expect too much of a "completely new experience", however:
  • As far as graphical changes go, about 95% of non-map sprites are going to be different, including playable characters, portraits, NPCs and enemies (both battle and overworld sprites). The World of Balance map will also be completely reshaped, and it is very likely the World of Ruin might start differently if by then I've earned enough experience. 
  • The new playable characters all have different skills and stats compared to their vanilla counterparts. In addition, all (most) equipment will have new names, new stats, new prices and "new" effects. Items and specially relics are now for the most part character-themed. While learnable spells and lores will remain unchanged (with exceptions), a good deal of enemy spells will be new. Blitzes and SwdTech will all be changed.
  • Enemies and their formations will be 99% revamped; new sprites, new formations, new packs, new AI scripts, new stats, new specials; Only "Traditional" Final Fantasy monsters (Chimera, Behemoth, Cactuar, etc), as well as Kefka, will stay around.
  • While I have yet to get to it, I also plan to revamp the espers and their spells, though I won't add any restrictions.
  • The game will feature a mostly new dialog script to better fit the story and character changes. While the actual course of the game will be unchanged, there might be different ways each event unfolds. As one example, no 11 moogles will appear to help Locke; instead, Umaro will join him.
  • Another thing worth noting included in the hack will be consistency between overworld and enemies. If you notice in Narshe two Lobos and two Guards corner you, but in the battle one of the Lobos mysteriously disappears. This will be fixed. Another one in Doma you can talk to one soldier and be ambushed by a group of three. Now you will fight only one. What you'll see in this hack is what you'll really get. 
  • In terms of difficulty, I don't aim to create a "hard hack", but the overall difficulty will be raised if only to counter the lackluster difficulty of the original. I hope to have original, fun and faithful enemies and bosses.
  • As far as music goes, I've yet to learn how to add custom tracks. Though unlikely, if I do ever manage to do this, I plan to have most character themes that don't appear anymore in the game to be replaced with their respective new character's themes.
That's pretty much all about it. Even though it is nowhere near finished, I want to release a patch of whatever I have done now so you guys can get a "preview" or "demo" of what to expect in this hack of mine. If I get a general approval, I'll continue with this hack. I may continue even without it, but this is taking a good deal of my time away so I at least want to know I'm making some people enjoy a hack.

Crossover Crisis IPS patch for a headered, US v1.0 ROM. (Updated! version... -5.2?)

If you like this hack and even go as far as wanting to get involved with the making of this hack, by all means go ahead and ask! I started hacking probably around 2009 and this full game hack would likely start around 2012. If it took me three years to finish 1/5 of the game I have a long way ahead of me and help is always appreciated. Thank you so much for reading, have a good one.

Step forward, spriters! We are also responsible to make hacks look new and fresh, we are no less important than code or ASM hackers! CHARGE!!

Messages In This Thread
Crossover Crisis (demo abviable) - by Kugawattan - 01-01-2016, 10:21 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Kugawattan - 01-01-2016, 10:23 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by madsiur - 01-01-2016, 11:49 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Tenkarider - 01-02-2016, 04:29 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Kugawattan - 01-03-2016, 09:09 AM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Gi Nattak - 01-16-2016, 06:16 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Kugawattan - 01-16-2016, 08:26 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Gi Nattak - 01-16-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Kugawattan - 01-16-2016, 09:29 PM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Lockirby2 - 01-17-2016, 01:41 AM
RE: Crossover Crisis - by Lockirby2 - 01-19-2016, 10:27 PM