Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Backups? How do you "do it"?

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I keep both headered and unheadered copies of the vanilla ROM, which is easy.

For my stuff, I keep every hack separate and create it all with batch files when it's time for testing or release. Everything is separated into three folders:

In one folder, I have two ROMs with the different aspects of the map hacks I've made (chest edits and exit changes) and a third ROM with both aspects applied to it. I manually create an IPS patch off of that and add it to the folder containing the rest of my individual IPS patches (mostly third-party stuff).

In another folder, I have the aforementioned third-party IPS patches that we've utilized in BNW. The map changes get added to this list for ease of use in my batch files.

The third folder contains all of my ASM hacks, each kept in its own file separate from the others, even if they only change a single byte (55 files in all). The exception is my massive events.asm, which is contained in a single file to keep the locations streamlined.

Finally, I have four separate batch files - one combines all of the IPS patches I keep in folder #2 into a single patch. Another batch file applies all my ASM hacks in folder #3 to a vanilla ROM and creates a patch out of that. A third batch file applies the two previously mentioned patches to a vanilla ROM and creates a workable patch to be applied to a BNW base ROM (more on this below). The fourth batch file is simply a combination of the previous three; all it does is call each one in order.

All the above also have back-up copies on my laptop, and folders two and three have copies on my web space.

Now, as for the other changes to the ROM made via FF3usME, BTB handles those and sends me a modified ROM when it's time for a new test or release version. I keep each and every ROM he sends me in a separate folder just in case something needs to be rolled back or he somehow loses all his work (not that I expect him to, I'm just paranoid). The workable patch I create via batch files is then applied to the latest ROM he sent me, and the actual BNW patch is created off of that one.

So basically, everything is separate for me until the moment of patch creation, and is maintained on three different systems. The actual BNW base ROMs are also essentially backed up on at least three separate computers (my home PC, my laptop, and however many systems BTB keeps his stuff on).

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Backups? How do you "do it"? - by Catone - 04-08-2015, 04:12 PM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by Lockirby2 - 04-08-2015, 07:09 PM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by Synchysi - 04-08-2015, 07:41 PM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by dn - 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by Gi Nattak - 04-08-2015, 09:42 PM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by Tenkarider - 04-08-2015, 10:52 PM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by Synchysi - 04-09-2015, 12:15 AM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by m06 - 04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: Backups? How do you "do it"? - by JCE3000GT - 04-10-2015, 11:16 PM