Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
It lives... again...

Yeah, a touch over dramatic for something so simple, (still a classic line from the old PC dos game "Blood", fun stuff. Course any game that has a zippo lighter and a can of hairspray for a blow torch as a weapon deserves recognition.)

To the point! Yes, I'm back to this. Believe it or not I already fixed it too! Well, not finished by any meams but I got the patch working as it should have when I had to quit last time. I will update the first post and download link when I get home from work in about 12 hours or so. Just to be clear at the current stage it works, has several sheets expanded already (none current, just what I had installed during round one.) It has not been clean tested though, while it shouldn't have any downsides or noticable issues I'm not 100% sure exactly where I left it. I'm pretty sure I didn't repoint any NPC map sprites and I know I didn't change any events to use full sheets so technically it could be used to put a few of the added sprites in battle.

Since the core code seems to be working now, means I get to start off with adding sorting and merging sprite sheets.

Step one: merge in all the new full vanilla sprites floating around to fill out their lacking vanilla counter parts and update the list.

Step two: Fine tune the idea of adding new sheets. Since I'm a fool and didn't record the reasoning behind not wanting to go full bore-all in-balls first expansion (other than being to difficult to use? WTF does that even mean? Guess I'll find out eventually).

Just to be clear, the biggest reason behind the stopping of this project was time. I ran out of it. To much to do, days not long enough, (insert what ever other excuse you'd believe here), etc. Regardless, signs are good, just started and already have it fixed. So off we go.

I would also like to request two things if someone is interested.

1st. I would really dig it if someone a little less rusty in events could see about adjusting the events/areas that have Figaro guards on chocobos to use the normal Figaro sprite sheet (sheet number 59 decimal) instead of the riding sprite on #64. Or at least see why it can't be done. The point is to free up sprite #64 for something entirely new. As I said, I'll update the download soon as able, if someone wants to do it sooner than that: patch rom, Open hex editor, change 3F/F580 from EF to F2 and it should work fine. Readme should have details on what/how to patch.

2nd request? Completed vanilla sprites of course. Although that needs to wait until I get the list up to date on what I have and what is needed/desired.

Beyond that, we'll see where it goes. Have questions, read the thread or ask. I tried to put all the info and status of on this thread as it came up (for the very reason I figured I'd need to go back and read it to refresh my own memory.)

On an added side note, and a small redemtion for myself, a few more minetes of looking and I found what caused the borking of the last version. I had added an extra address to the first pointer table to add in a new sprite, which moved all following list down 3 bytes. I made all the pointer adjustmemts in my code to account for it but forgot the palette pointer buried in Egger's expanded palette patch asm. (Since I used a compiler to edit and add his code, I didn't have it all wrote out in my spreadsheet for easy viewing, hence forgot to adjust the extra added bytes for that pointer list). SO, yes that explains the break and means that one adjustment to the core code should be all that was busted. Just to clarify.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Catone for this post:
  • Tenkarider (12-08-2015)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC - by Catone - 12-08-2015, 09:13 AM