Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Didn't know there were issues with any actors of that sort. Those were just the default Moogle actors already loaded for that battle,(when Locke jumps in to save Terra from Narsh guards).

I used that event for testing because there are 11 pc assigned graphics, palettes, and properties all in one nice little place right after a multiple choice dialog. That being said, I didn't change anything in regards to what name/properties they were assigned.

Since you brought it up though (and it is definatly relevant to using something like this) I will be sure to go back and test all the available names/properties to see if they'll all function with graphics. Never thought of them being an issue before.

*UPDATE* Still no progress on making every graphics sheet work in battle. Some of them just refuse to load.

It's not the location of the sprite. I can tell it to load the graphics for Clyde, and change the battle pointer to the Draco sprite sheet and it will load Draco in battle correctly.

The problem is not in the NPC pointers. I've edited the expanded battle tables (sprite and palette) as well as another table from CF/F913 that is called at C3/6CF7 that I don't even remember what it is for... as well as the map character pointers at C0/D0F2 area, everything I can find pointed at the new full sprite sheets and it still won't load certain battle sprites. Debug says it is going to the proper location for the sheet, it just won't work. (Sometimes just a blank space, sometimes a shadow and no character, sometimes a blob of glitched pixels, sometimes complete crash on battle start.)

I attempted to look at the info at C2/C745 labled as "Pointers to Sprite Parts used in battle". Can't make any sense of the actual data, even after reading Egger's comments regarding that data during sprite loading. That being said, the debug log shows that the table is being read (as far as I can tell) the same manner with sprites that work and sprites that don't. If that is the problem, I'm not sure how to even narrow it down let alone fix it because it seems to be doing it correctly.

My best guess at this point is: math. Somewhere in the code it seems the sprite value for some just doesn't factor into the original formula for loading battle graphics while other values just get lucky, I'll be damned if I can see a pattern to it though. I SUCK at math though so if it is the problem, pure dumb luck, random guessing, or deals with the dark side are the only way I'll be able to make it work personally.

At this point in time I am planning to continue expanding sheets and making a list of what crashes in battle, which at the moment seem to be several more than I like to see including some I actually had plans for. The NPC sheets will still be expanded to full size, they just wont work in battle. So it won't be a complete waste, just not as good as I had hoped.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC - by Catone - 03-28-2015, 07:10 AM