Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Hey seibaby, thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it. For the speedcave, maybe "one sitting" is a bit misleading. I think that it is doable in one sitting for someone who is well-prepared and knowledgeable about both the cave and FF6. For reference, I can probably do the speedcave in about 4 hours, assuming I plan appropriately, take good notes, and get decent luck.

Clustering maps based on tileset is definitely possible, but I'm not sure it would be a positive change. My biggest concern is the town maps, which have so many exits that they currently function as a kind of hub world. It's nice to have those maps spread out across many different sections of the dungeon. If they were all clustered together, one party would have to do a lot of exploring all at once. I also think it might be a bit confusing for, say, figaro castle interior and doma castle interior to be connected together, or the two Zozo maps with big staircases that I sometimes have difficulty telling apart. And based on the available maps, the clustering effect would have to be quite strong, I think, for players to even notice a difference... especially in the speedcave, which has half as many maps.

I'd like to make better use of the "edge" exits, or the "long" exits as they're sometimes called. When I first made the dungeon randomizer, I went through every map and noted all of the exits that I could use. However, at that time, I still didn't know the format for long exits, so I left those out. To properly use the long exits, I'll have to go through each map again, and make some changes to BC as well. That said, I'm not sure if properly using long exits would be a good thing either. They're a bit more vague, and in my opinion they're a lot easier to miss or forget than the doorway exits. I've trained so many users to avoid the long exits that they might have difficulty adjusting. I don't necessarily think that's a good enough reason not to use them, but it's something worth considering.

https://github.com/abyssonym/beyondchaos
Beyond Chaos is a full-game randomizer for FF6.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - by abyssonym - 06-04-2015, 08:50 PM