Poll: FFVI: Great game, or greatest game?
This poll is closed.
Great 35.00% 7 35.00%
Greatest 65.00% 13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
Quote:To be honest I don't really have... "notes".

That's ok, I was just wondering if you had found anything interesting out that you had not yet posted. I was mostly curious about the details on the problems you had with the patch and how you solved them.
I read your original long post with the details and I think I understand what you did. Then there was the trouble with the background in Cyan's dream and how did you fix that?

I think your way of doing it is just fine. I guess what I'd like to be able to do is shift graphic blocks around a little and be able to adjust the pointer table accordingly so I can insert modified blocks of graphics that are of different sizes than the originals.

I am not really trying to create new backgrounds yet, just tinkering to see how things work. For now I am trying to modify existing tiles. I slightly changed the T2 background by extracting with Peer Sprite Viewer, modifying with YY-CHR, then recompressing it.
Miraculously, it worked and T3 loads just fine. I haven't checked, but I guess the compressed block of modified graphics turned out the same size as the original (or smaller, I guess).

However, when I tried the same thing with the T3 background, it screwed things up. Probably the compressed block was bigger after the change, and overwrote the first few bytes of the next compressed block of graphics (the Kefka background).
I'm not sure, but I THINK that the first few bytes of each block are some kind of header of the compression format or something? Overwriting it doesn't just mess up the graphics, it crashes the game.

So I recompressed the modified graphics into a block of empty space in an expanded ROM and compared the size, and sure enough it was a few bytes bigger. I dumped the recompressed block to a file and now all I have to do is push all the graphics following the T2 block into that stretch of empty space near the end of the graphics block to make space, then reinsert it, and adjust the pointers.

I guess what I'm not exactly clear about is that pointer table and where the graphics are in the japanese ROM. I shouldn't even need to know where stuff is, just adjust each entry in the pointer table by however many bytes I move things, but there are some bytes at the end of the pointer table that seem to point to lower offsets than the previous ones, and I'm not sure what that is about.
How long is that pointer table by the way? Is it the same size as in FF3us?

Quote:However if you'd like I could go back into the ROM and at least identify the addresses where specific background graphics start in the Japanese ROM if that's something you're interested in.

The japanese pointer table in the ROM holds all those offsets so it's pretty trivial to find out, assuming the graphics are ordered the same way as in FF3us, just shifted so the offsets are different?
I think I can map that out myself with the pointer table and Peer Sprite Viewer, so you should do it only if you're interested yourself.
I've looked at that list of offsets at Lord J's site, and it only lists offsets for FF3us, it would be nice to fill it out with the japanese offsets too, and possibly some better descriptions.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project - by seibaby - 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM