Poll: FFVI: Great game, or greatest game?
This poll is closed.
Great 35.00% 7 35.00%
Greatest 65.00% 13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
(09-18-2014, 05:35 AM)seibaby Wrote: Nice to see you still working on the final battle uncensoring patch! I only tested most of the WoB backgrounds and had not yet gotten to the dream sequence with Cyan when you made the update. I would like to see your notes on working with the backgrounds since I got interested when you made your first post and have been trying to do some stuff.

To be honest I don't really have... "notes". The data was pretty much just copy-pasted out of the Japanese ROM. I didn't have to use a program to extract and recompress the graphics or anything. I literally just identified where the graphics started in the Japanese ROM, copied them into the US ROM, and changed the pointers accordingly.

I went into more detail on what I specifically did in this post: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...4#pid22844
There's more info on address ranges affected and stuff too.

Like I mentioned in that previous post, I kind of did the patch in a cheatery sort of way and didn't really learn much about how the compression works. However if you'd like I could go back into the ROM and at least identify the addresses where specific background graphics start in the Japanese ROM if that's something you're interested in.

http://www.angelfire.com/pq/jumparound/f...fsets.html
Go to 271850 for the background data.

But if you want to create NEW backgrounds, I'm afraid I can't really help you, I'm sorry. The only thing I've gleaned from this process about the compressed graphics is that it seems really complex and looks like a lot of the battle backgrounds are made out of a combination of tiles from graphics tilesets used in towns/dungeons/etc as well as compressed graphics in the E7/E8/E9 banks. It wouldn't be as easy and just taking an image and compressing/inserting it, I think.

Sorry I can't help you more. Sad
But if you have specific questions I can at least TRY to answer them.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project - by DrMeat - 09-18-2014, 10:53 PM