Poll: FFVI: Great game, or greatest game?
This poll is closed.
Great 35.00% 7 35.00%
Greatest 65.00% 13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
(09-06-2014, 05:13 AM)seibaby Wrote: I didn't see any mention of the Zozo battle background Pub sign in the credits section, did you make this change yourself? If so, how did you change the battle background? I'm inexperienced with graphics hacking, but I believe the battle backgrounds are compressed somehow. Would you consider releasing that change as a standalone patch?

That graphic seems to just be recycled from the main graphics tileset used in Zozo, so I'm pretty sure once I did that it was changed in the battle background too. I didn't do anything complex, at any rate. And yeah that's a change I made myself. I did submit it to RHDT as a standalone patch (though it was rejected Tongue), so I can definitely make that available for folks to use! Smile

Here you are: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4232...6_pubs.zip

Quote:The best bet is to move the compressed graphics to an area of free space in the ROM, then change the relevant pointers. I don't know where the pointers are located though, or if there is an accessible block of free space big enough for the compressed block (I'm not even sure how big it is, I think it's just a few bytes bigger than the original).

Yeah I tried to do what you did at first and came away with the same results. Although I was able to get the lady ("Magic"?) uncensored without breaking anything else, I don't think I'd be able to do the same to the others without some serious trial and error.

If we can find the pointers to that data it seems like it wouldn't be too tough, especially if the filesizes of the two graphics are within a few bytes. I think in the US version there's 64 free bytes right after the Kefka background so if the order of the backgrounds could be rearranged it might work? Heck if I know. But I will be looking into it further - it'd be really nice to get that figure out! I've become fairly adept at moving data around so I'll report back with any results I find.

UPDATE 1: Okay, so I was able to uncensor the 2nd tier of the final battle!

[Image: ff3-fb-graphics.png]

Here's what I learned, although I didn't glean as much I could have because I did it in a kind of cheatery way...

First up, from E71650-E71848 (no header for these addresses) is a pointer table (3-byte) which points to where the graphics are for the corresponding background - and many of the backgrounds definitely use graphics straight out of the town/dungeon/etc tilesets, like Zozo. That's why changing the Cafe sign to Pub for the town changes it in the battle background too. Literally the same graphic.

There seems to be a second pointer table but I'm honestly not sure what that does. E7A9E7-E96300 is where the actual background data is, with some free bytes in the US version at the end.

So at first what I did was just copy ALL of FF6J's background data from including the pointer table (from E71650-E96300). That messed up backgrounds that took graphics from the town/dungeon/etc graphics since the FF3US graphics are offset slightly from the FF6J graphics. Oops.

Using Lord J's offset compendium, I found where the final battle backgrounds start (E8D366), then went back and located it in the pointer table (E71707). So then I tried copying everything from E71707-E96300 out of the FF6J ROM, leaving intact the earlier parts of that pointer table (a smarter way to do it would probably be to just copy the last bit of that pointer table from FF6J, then copy the data from E8D366-E96300, but that's not what I did... it's 3AM).

Anyway, It seems to work! The other backgrounds like Zozo don't seem to be messed up and the final battle background appears fully uncensored. [addendum: see update 2]

Grab the patch here!
To be clear, this is JUST the uncensored graphics for FF3US 1.0, not my larger project or anything.

I have not tested this patch beyond completing the final battle and doing a few random battles in Zozo and few other places. I don't know if it will reveal itself to be totally messed up somewhere. I'll definitely keep working on it but I wanted to let you all know how it went. And it's almost 4AM here so if any of this info is goofed up sorry about that. Tongue

Edit: Oh, also - I didn't actually realize this until just a moment ago, but tier 3 is censored as well. That's fixed too, as you can see.

[Image: ff3-fb-graphics2.png]

UPDATE 2: There was a problem with doing it that way (unsurprisingly). The Kefka background isn't the last one in the offset table so copying the last section of the pointer table screwed up a few backgrounds, like Darry's tomb. You JUST want to copy from E71707-E71724 out of FF6J into your US ROM. Then copy from E71848-E96300. That's all the compressed graphics data.

The patch was updated to fix that. I think it's probably good now? Still hasn't been tested very thoroughly though. I've probably only fought on about 15-20 backgrounds so far. If you use it, let me know how it works.

Here's the patch, again.

Sorry for the gigantic post Tongue
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to DrMeat for this post:
  • seibaby (09-09-2014)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project - by DrMeat - 09-07-2014, 11:08 PM