Poll: FFVI: Great game, or greatest game?
This poll is closed.
Great 35.00% 7 35.00%
Greatest 65.00% 13 65.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
You're welcome. Thanks yourself for all the effort you put into this.

I didn't see any mention of the Zozo battle background Pub sign in the credits section, did you make this change yourself? If so, how did you change the battle background? I'm inexperienced with graphics hacking, but I believe the battle backgrounds are compressed somehow. Would you consider releasing that change as a standalone patch?

If you can figure out the final battle graphics, that would be a great contribution to the scene. It is the last remaining censored graphics in FF3us that don't have an uncensoring patch available or is easily modded with sprite editors.

I took a quick look at it and it seems pretty tricky. The offset for the tier 2 graphics have been documented by Lord J and can be found and presumably decompressed and edited with Peer Sprite Viewer and yy-chr.

I tried straight ripping the offsets from the J rom and pasting into the
same address in the US rom, and that caused the graphics to be
partially messed up. They were the correct tiles, but jumbled. Also, the
game locked up at the transition to the third tier.

I still think the easier way would be to find the correct offset for the same graphics in the japanese ROM and copy them from there. However, since the graphics differ, the compressed block is going to be a different size. That at the very least means you would have to edit some pointers and I
don't know where those are located, nor do I know the exact offset where the
graphics are located in the japanese ROM. At worst, the compressed block
from FF6j could be bigger than the FF3us one so you would have to find
room for it somewhere else.

I can see why this hasn't been done yet. At least, not that I know of. Supposedly Lord J has made a patch that restores these graphics but is buggy, but I can't find it. Contacting him for any clues could be helpful, however.

Okay, another update. Thanks to Lord J's site, I found the uncensored graphics from FF6 Anthology! I tried recompressing them into FF3us using Peer Sprite Viewer, but unfortunately, the compressed block is too large and screws up the ROM. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Possible solutions:
Recompress the graphics to a smaller size. I'm not sure which compression algorithm FF3us uses nor if there is a tool which allows the compression method to be tweaked to achieve smaller filesizes or if the result would even be compatible.

The best bet is to move the compressed graphics to an area of free space in the ROM, then change the relevant pointers. I don't know where the pointers are located though, or if there is an accessible block of free space big enough for the compressed block (I'm not even sure how big it is, I think it's just a few bytes bigger than the original).

Here are the uncompressed graphics if you want to give it a try.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nisvbj79got5o4...a.bin?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2r5hl5h24ilt6...a.bin?dl=0
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to seibaby for this post:
  • DrMeat (09-07-2014)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: Relocalization Project - by seibaby - 09-06-2014, 05:13 AM