Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Your ending offset seems to be wrong for some reason. But never mind. I've used lunarIPS like you suggest. Sorry for the difficulty.

http://bitshare.com/files/v1di8y87/expan...es.7z.html

(I'm not sure what the problem was. I guess it could be a number of things. I was using a version of the rom in which I'd inserted other code and made other changes. I didn't think it would interfere, but maybe it did? Or maybe I pasted the wrong hex values somehow? In any case, never mind.)

OK. These are two patches -- one for a headered rom, and one for an unheadered. They both use clean, 1.0 roms. You don't need to expand the ROM before applying the patch, or anything else. The patch does that for you.

In addition to the new function for loading / editing battle graphic data, the patches also edit sprite data, so you can see the effect without editing any sprites yourself. The following characters are now using "expanded" colors of unaltered palettes: Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, & Imperial Soldier (Biggs/Wedge).

If you want to make your own changes to sprites (including re-importing the original sprites), it should be no problem to do with ff3usME, or anything else.

I've tested both patches with snes9x debug version, with its auto-IPS feature, and though I only tested briefly, both seem to work fine.

The new code is now pasted to F10000, if you're looking for it.

So, I just noticed a "bug" that isn't actually a bug in my code.

Edgar and Sabin appear in different colors in and out of battle, with the altered sprites I gave them. However, this is not because my code is loading the palettes wrong. It's because some of the in-battle palettes are actually different from the corresponding out-of-battle palettes in their last four colors. I guess because those colors are normally unusable, they didn't bother.

Anyway, if you want to fix this discrepancy, alter the in-battle palette to match the out-of-battle one. You can do this in ff3usME, or whatever.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters - by Eggers - 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM