Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Extracting text from Breath of Fire

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
New post 10/22/11

After speaking with some people on Romhacking, they gave me some very useful hints as to give me a better idea on what do. Apparently, the game doesn't use ASCII at all (since it uses DTE compression) and that a table needs to be made with WindHex32. Making a table with Monkey Moore isn't an issue, but completing one with WindHex is, since it doesn't allow me to. It opens up the table editor, but doesn't free up the space I need to insert the control codes (like <line break> after a word). It's easy to find useful text by searching the word "perish", and making an incomplete table that way. The offset for this part of the text is located at 0x60068.

Why this hex editor doesn't let me make the necessary changes to the Table I'll never know. I wish there was a DECENT table editor (like, one that doesn't freak out like WindHex32). Do you need to expand the ROM then use the table editor to find the control codes?

Here's the incomplete table file created using Monkey Moore - http://www.mediafire.com/?synlsl5gj8lvulk
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Extracting text from Breath of Fire - by the_randomizer - 10-22-2011, 03:22 PM