Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Last Five Questions and I'll be Done :)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 148
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
1. Take a look at the event dump. You need to learn the commands first to have characters start at a certain spot, on a certain map, at a certain time, and then have them move or animate a certain way, with certain music, and have the camera move, or pan along with them or to your liking. A lot of the commands are cataloged in my event hacking thread. Say, instead of having Terra, Biggs, and Wedge start at Narshe, you want Strago, Leo, and Gogo to start in Zozo, on chocobos, with Dancing Mad playing, you would look for the Narshe Cliffs event in the event dump, and make the changes accordingly with the hex editor, or you could even erase all the data for that event, and make a whole new one. (Not recommended until much later) Try to look for and learn patterns how each event is handled, like in what order the commands should go. To sum this question up, you need to learn the hex commands first, find the event and offset address you wish to change in the event dump, and then input the new commands into the ROM via a hex editor. It sounds tough because it is. Making whole new events, or cutscenes, or even editing events to replace old ones, is a real challenge! As always make backups of your ROM before you start messing and practicing with changing bytes of hex around. Trial and error is how I learned.

2. I will leave this one to someone else. XD

3. You can do this with the Level Editor. You can place any NPC you wish, that has nothing to do with it. The event is what decides which battle it is, or what the NPC will say, or if they have a unique movement. It's not an event square though, so to speak, like when you walk over a certain tile, and a cutscene happens... You see, each NPC has a event address of their own, which tells them what they should do. What most people do for custom boss's is look at saaay, Dadaluma's event, make an NPC on the Airship or wherever you like, give Dadaluma a whole new battle script and sprite, use his event and there ya go. So basically you want to find an instant battle boss event, the ones that if you talk to them, a battle will start, and then copy that event with the Level Editor under NPC's, to the NPC you want to make into a custom boss, then make a save state with all the characters maxed out and ready to fight, right by the boss NPC.

4. Palettes are sets of colors that are shared between the characters. For instance Cyan and Shadow share palette 4. Kefka, Relm, Strago, and Gogo all share palette 3. So if you change one color in a palette, it will affect all of them who share it as well. Each palette table has up to 15 colors, although the last four are generally not used for characters because they mess up the sprites colors in battle. They are used for status ailments. There are a total of 6 usable palettes. Some characters have there palettes all to themselves. Like Terra (Pal #0), or Locke (Pal #1). If only they all had their own! >_<

5. Look's back at question #1. Yes, more event editing. Get the event dump and look through it. You can find what you are looking for much faster by using the search feature in whatever document reader you are using. Try searching for keywords, like "Narshe" or "Dream Stooges" to navigate much faster through the dump, and find what you want to change. Alternatively you could also search for bytes, like "$F0" (Play song) or "$6B" (Load Map) Learn how to hex edit and find addresses. THEN, you can begin to edit and create events. Wink GL

By the way, I like how you are trying to learn this stuff, instead of asking someone else to just do it for you. Feel free to ask me anything.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last Five Questions and I'll be Done :) - by Gi Nattak - 10-01-2010, 03:36 PM