The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Poll: What did you think?
This poll is closed.
Interesting... 100.00% 2 100.00%
It sucked! Ya bum! 0% 0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Project preview: Comments/suggestions/testing welcome

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Still not sure what to title this thread, what THIS project actually is, or what to call it so comments as to that are more than welcome too.

This is a bit of a preview, perhaps, of what I've been working on, quit, let collect dust for years, forgot how to code, then dug up and attempted to get started on again. I admit, it's a ridiculous ambition and don't really have a defined goal but here is... Part of it.

It goes on a V1.0 headerless ROM.

"It" is an attempt to actually do something with my old attempt at using all (yes all, or at least mostly all) FULL sprite sheets for every character/sprite/NPC and then a couple extra full sheets just to make it more complicated. 

I'm posting this chunk not so much to show off sprites, but because I could use some input on my rewrite of the Narshe Mines battlefield (you know, the one at the start of the game, with moogles? And no Mr. Spell Check, I said "MOOGLES" NOT "NOODLES"!)

Anyway, I could really use some input on the POTENTIAL difficulty of that battlefield. Since there's no way to level up prior, stock up at any shop, or repeatable heal... Difficulty is important. Well, potential difficulty... It has a bit of randomness in it now, which makes Locke's comment on losing "We couldn't hold out?" Mostly impossible. If your very lucky, you might not see one extra enemy, if not reinforcements can possibly NEVER stop "charging" you until you manage to dash in and take out the commander (which was the entire original point, according to the moogle, "3-party battle explanation.)

The enemies won't just meander their way towards Terra, you most likely won't be able to dash straight to the commander speed run style, and as already stated if your really unlucky, the enemies will litteraly beat all 3 parties down to nothing. It's not impossible by any degree, and reinforcements can stop at any point... Or never.

Also, since part of the reason I went through the event script from "show Title screen" to winning the battlefield was to make use of having full sprite sheets, and making use of them, I ask that you start from "new game". Many of the sprite graphical edits are (as I said somewhere) "blink and you'll miss them", BUT that was the point. It's supposed to be natural (sometimes an attempt at being comical) but not really all new scenes. So, please play through the start without fast forward, and do the scripted battles entering Narshe, at least once. Oh, and do save as close to the battlefield as possible (or make a save state on the moogle "Need explanation" screen). Do to the random factors added to the battlefield, I reccomend doing it at least twice, even if you do get lucky on the first run.

As I've said, any bugs, crashes, glitches, graphical errors, or comments are very welcome. Just for instance, such a small thing like the Slave Crown, sinve I combined it on a sheet with two other props (that share the same palette) I had to edit its script to make it show the propper item, rather than random chucks of a screwy sheet. Other things, like Arvis, that had a slightly more than minimum sprite had to be edited to use normal graphics from a standard PC sheet, instead of a "NPC walking" sprite sheet with one or two extra graphics, else it glitched out as soon as it tried to use the partials.

Some bugs I'm already aware of:

I haven't done anything with the save menu or shops yet, its on the list. Also the portraits glitch out (for everyone) while using potions in the menu. They go back to normal as soon as you run out of that potion or change to any different screen. (Probably something to do with having 130 some odd portraits slots that are linked to the Actor slot, but it'll be adressed with the menus so...)

Vicks "gliding" into the room (he is at least at normal speed now...)is already on my list.

If you happen to notice any of the hairy monsters during the battlefield "snap" back to the normal course... Well, as tight as this map is and the fact it was ment to be 100% scripted paths, no random deployments or routes, some of the little respawning bastards kept trying to crawl into the walls. I THINK it might have been either typos (which I think I found most of) or pile ups/collisions. Either way, I went through their paths and occasionally teleport them back to the track where they should be at that point in the pathing. ONE is supposed to climb along/through part of the rock directly in front of the commander. That one is on purpose to minimize pile ups. You may, or may not see any of this, either because your to busy trying to maneuver parties through a cramped map, or just tryimg not to die... But if you do see one teleport out of the wall, its normal (or at least noted). That being said, if you lose suddenly because one of the little hairballs crawled through the wall... Please make note of it.

I haven't done anything beyond coming out of the secret entrance (where you can go into the "school") or went inside the school for that matter. So, if your feeling generous, and play beyond the battlefield or check the school house, please make note of anything out of place or glitched.

I had a few times during the battlefield, that it: 
stayed black after a battle,
Didn't switch back to the properly controlled party,
Moved the camera but no party,
And a time or two that the monster didn't die and left me stuck in a never ending cycle of battles since it never left contact with a party. Pretty sure most of these were pointers a few bytes off during writing/testing and I didn't see them during the last several test battles, so please make note if any are still present.

I didn't include the disasymboly with this. Its about 3 or 4 times the size of the patch and I'm only this far into the game... Didn't feel it was worth it at this time.

Let me know if the battlefield is way to difficult. I don't really want to tweak stats, but I can add armor/gear to the moogles without making any long term changes to the game. Locke's party is pretty weak (at least it seems weak to me), so my first idea was to put a GaleHairpin on one of his moogles (increased pre-emptive strike), the other option was to swap some moogles between parties. This is why I really need input on the difficulty ("blizzard" sucks). During initial bug testing, I gave a soldier Shock so I could survive long enough to look around). All this can be done with FF3usME under the "Actors Editor", just don't try to open the Sprite editor. It immediately crashes the entire program (for good reasons).

Welp, if your still reading? Thank you. If this out and comment? Thank you even more. If nothing works and I typed all this for nothing? Feel free to join me in a cuss till blue in the face rant.

Good luck.

Attached Files
.ips  FF6-CatoneExTest.ips (1 MB, 1 downloads)

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Project preview: Comments/suggestions/testing welcome - by Catone - 08-01-2022, 06:57 AM
RE: Small mod, need input/testing - by C-Dude - 08-01-2022, 04:30 PM
RE: Small mod, need input/testing - by Catone - 08-01-2022, 08:46 PM