The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Narshe's map and battle overhaul project

Threads: 10
Thanks Received: 9
Thanks Given: 5
Status
Sneak
Hey. So, some months ago, while thinking about the Battle of Narshe, I kinda of realized how underwhelming that part really is. You see, the concept of a direct fight against a whole imperial troop right after the party's reunion, in one of the most cool areas of the game, Narshe, is really awesome. However, in execution, it's not that impressive, and the main reason is that the battlefield per se is not that impressive. The cliff is just too small and the only obstacles are those rocks that form a kind of maze.

With that in mind, I came to the conclusion that the battle would be just much more cool if it actually occured in the town, instead. However, the vanilla map of Narshe is not very suited for that, as it's design consists of, basically, a long cross shaped road: the imperial soldiers would just walk straight towards you.

I then began experimenting with tweaking Narshe's design to fit that goal, with more bifurcations and alleys. But I quickly concluded that just making some alterations on the current's design wouldn't be enough, so I decided to create it from scratch.

[Image: pbGQDF1.png]

In this design, I took a very labyrinth-like approach, there are a lot of alleys and small passages, so that to the feeling of the cliff remains, but in a much larger scale. I also mirrored its orientation horizontally: Arvis' house is now on the northwest section, and the mines entrance is on the east. However, note that the signs in the buildings don't mean anything, as I haven't yet planned all of the interior section of the city.

Also, I made this using Tiled, and before actually hacking this into the game (with Rogue CE), I would like to listen to what you guys think about it, as it is not entirely finished yet. I'm aware that, possibly, editing the battle itself might be just too hard, but even then, the design already is pretty cool by itself, so I decided to share it regardless.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to tomilho for this post:
  • Joshua H. (06-22-2022), madsiur (05-28-2022)

Messages In This Thread
Narshe's map and battle overhaul project - by tomilho - 05-25-2022, 03:48 PM