The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I need help with a 'mystery' code located in my project's F0 bank

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello,

For the past ten years or so, I've been working on a personal project for the game which has grown exponentially beyond my initial ambitions. My latest such ambition is to properly expand the dialog of the game and re-do the script. As I have also used an obsolete version of Fantasy VI: Restored Ability Names as a base, which relocates spell, esper and skill names to the F0 Bank where FF3usME places expanded dialog, I am in trouble, because the expanded script will eat all of my spell names and class names.

This will require me to either completely re-direct the relevant pointers for spell stuff, or learn how to use Kruptar (Atlas does not seem to work on my PC). I'm hell bent on re-directing those pointers for now, because Kruptar is very much out of my league. as I am unfortunately strictly an amateur. I think I'm determined enough to figure this out...eventually.

But (this is the important part!) I've run into a snag: there are 54 bytes located in the F0 bank, starting at 00303600 and ending at 303635, which I can not account for...except in that, as the first thing I tried to do was over-write them all with commands FF, they are apparently vital to opening the menu! Whatever this line of code is, it is now essential, but I will have to move it if I am to proceed this way, as the extended dialog will eat that too. Here is the code:

Code:
00303600 - C2 20 B9 00 00 29 FF 00 0A AA BF 00 63 F0 AA A0
00303610 - 10 00 A9 00 00 E2 20 BF 00 00 F0 F0 09 8D 80 21
00303620 - E8 88 F0 0E 80 F1 C8 88 F0 08 A9 FF 8D 80 21 88
00303630 - D0 FA 9C 80 21 6B

Compounding this mystery, I've also managed to lose all of my documentation associated with this project, and it is only because of sharing copies of the ROM with friends that the project itself has not been lost completely. So I have no idea where this code comes from. I am at something of a loss. I suspect that this line of code may have to do with the restored character class names, as that is the next thing in the code, but I cannot be sure. I also believe that a line in the code, located at 0003F2A6, may be a pointer to this line of code, as it does not appear in a raw version of the rom, and reads...

Code:
22 00 34 F0

...which seems to be a three byte jump routine, to the F0 bank at 00303600 (it is a headered ROM). But I could be completely off base. Can anybody make sense of this?

Any and all assistance would be welcome. I can even whip up a quick patch of my work so far if you want to try a hands-on approach.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
I need help with a 'mystery' code located in my project's F0 bank - by Marketa Lazarova - 08-07-2021, 11:57 PM