Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 Multitap

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(07-01-2021, 09:49 PM)SirNewtonFig Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 08:39 PM)Joshua H. Wrote: Sounds like a blast!  I recently discovered an .ips file that allows the player to reassign the native button layout of the controller.  Unfortunately, I have yet to get it to work...I mean at all.  I was a little bummed out at first because I'm a BIG fan of the VGM music player patch that replaces the mono-audio option in the config menu.  And, I can't get that patch to play nicely with any other menu patch out there.  If it's at all possible, try to make your patch compatible with the music player patch.  You might want to try and format the config menu options in a similar fashion as the music player, by highlighting one of the options blue and assigning a submenu to it.  Of course, you'd have to rename each option so that they communicate their intended purpose: one for button layouts and the other for single/multiple controller layouts.  If you install the music player patch, you'll intuitively see how everything is formatted.  They've written good notes.  I only mention stuff like this because the Stereo option just greys out for mono quality audio.  Obviously, there's no reason to create a submenu for that.  The most intuitive renamed option handles I can think of right now would be something like: Button + Multiple.  You could just have the Multiple option grey out for single-play layouts.

Have you thought about doing something like this for Sunset Riders?

Ok, there's a lot in here to respond to. First and foremost, are you telling me you've tried using my multitap patch with the music player patch and that they're incompatible? Or are you just proactively suggesting I look into it? The multitap patch is built entirely within the space already utilized for the single/multiple toggle and the controller/character assignment submenu, so if there's some sort of clash with another patch, it's because they dipped into that space or moved things around.

I don't understand what you're suggesting about formatting config options. The multitap patch defines a very straightforward slider where you just pick the number of players, 1-4, much like the battle speed and text speed sliders, 1-6. Do you think there's something unintuitive about this?

Multitap doesn't deal with button layouts, so that's not of concern to me. There are routines already in the ROM for handling button remaps, there's just no interface to configure the remapping in the US ROM (there is in the JP ROM though). If someone else built a patch to allow the payer to remap their buttons (and did so without infringing on the controller/character assignment code), then it should work fine alongside multitap. I don't see any need to combine the two into a single config line item, because then I'd just be coupling multitap to another patch. It's a nice self-contained standalone as it is, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Re: Sunset Riders – no. I have never even heard of the game, so I don't see myself having the motivation to hack it.

Well for one, I just stumbled upon your post.  I haven’t even had a chance to install your patch yet, so I’m not TELLING you anything. But I’ll do what I can to unpack my earlier stream of consciousness...

Yes, I’m just suggesting that you look into the music player, if you’re unfamiliar with it.  No, the two patches are most likely NOT incompatible.

There’s no way for me to clarify my statements about the config menu.  But I’ll do what I can to attach an image of the config menu below.  If you compare the image with my previous statements, then it may become clear...otherwise, I don’t mind being misunderstood.

Finally, your last paragraph was a trip. LMAO! Take a breath DUDE.  You’re way to pretentious for your own good.  I won’t even bother attaching that image file I mentioned earlier...

Any further response like the one displayed in quotes above will be reported.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
FF6 Multitap - by SirNewtonFig - 06-06-2021, 09:12 AM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by SirNewtonFig - 07-01-2021, 08:01 AM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by Joshua H. - 07-01-2021, 08:39 PM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by SirNewtonFig - 07-01-2021, 09:49 PM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by Joshua H. - 07-01-2021, 11:03 PM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by Gi Nattak - 07-02-2021, 12:04 AM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by SirNewtonFig - 07-02-2021, 06:51 AM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by Joshua H. - 07-02-2021, 12:21 AM
RE: FF6 Multitap - by Gi Nattak - 07-02-2021, 12:34 AM