Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Random Battles

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Moog
It is good game design to have enemies telegraph information about the boss as you work your way through the dungeon. It's something I've seen in more modern games, especially multiplayer ones. The idea is to teach the player a new mechanic before that mechanic becomes a win-or-lose consideration.

That said, in the games I did see this technique applied, no one noticed/cared that the design was there. In other words, it will be appreciated by the people who pay enough attention to see it, but not many players care or want to be bothered.

Although... the people who are hardcore about FF6 do find little subtleties like that... providing they aren't running from all the fights. It's a toss-up; I'd say do it if you like monster scripting or you need the practice.

Personally, most of the random monsters in my hack don't even have scripts, they just pick an attack from their control list (thank you Hatzen!). Makes 'em a little more unpredictable, but doesn't have the benefit of informing the player about the next boss as you described.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Random Battles - by Odbarc - 07-07-2020, 06:03 PM
RE: Random Battles - by madsiur - 07-07-2020, 06:08 PM
RE: Random Battles - by Odbarc - 07-07-2020, 07:54 PM
RE: Random Battles - by C-Dude - 07-07-2020, 06:33 PM