The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
RAM $11E4 and adding Gau to a party?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Moog
Okay, so the least-significant bit of Ram address $11E4 is set when Gau is on the Veldt, indicating that he can be returned to the party.

I'm trying to wrap my head around an edge case: what if an event adds Gau to the party while this bit is set?

Let me set up a scenario for you: the player ditches Gau on the Veldt before tackling the Floating Continent.  The World of Ruin sequence that follows has been altered to make Gau mandatory; he is forced into the party during a side-scenario.
So... what happens?

(1) Is Gau just not added to the party because he's on the Veldt? [Bad]
(2) Is Gau added to the party but still present on the Veldt, potentially creating an event crash when Gau comes back with Gau in the party? [Very Bad]
(3) Is the bit automatically cleared because Gau is in the party? [Very Good]
(4) Does the bit have to be cleared manually by the event script? [How? It's less than $1DC9, there doesn't seem to be a command to manipulate bits that low in RAM]

The only instance in the game where Gau is added to a party is Cyan's Dream.  Since he has to be present beforehand, though, this situation doesn't come up.

Has anyone done anything like this before?  If it is a problem (as I suspect it is), how would you address it?  A subroutine in the battle loop to check for certain event bits and then clear $11E4?  Reworking Veldt functionality to never set the bit and never remove Gau from the party?  Something I haven't even considered?
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RAM $11E4 and adding Gau to a party? - by C-Dude - 12-18-2019, 08:50 PM