Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Finishing Off The Complete Roster Hack

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
The stuff I was looking at back in the day, least as I remember it, either you need to expand the OAM data just like any other list of pointers (yes this list being not very space effecient) or scrap OAM all together.

Easier said than done sure, however, afterooking at Hatzen's palette sync patch (making it load OAM palettes from the Battle palette list rather than OAM data) did work. Required some math edits to teach the code to read from a simple list rather than a bit in that chunk of OAM.

My point, your loading the same data in all these places changing only where exactly the data is loaded to. Coding Time aside, why couldn't these several list of pointers be condensed into one list (as in one list of pointers to sprite sheet and palatte) and then the code to load it be mathed to read the required data from that?

Not only would you save space by reducing the number of pointer list (like 2 in CO, 2 in CF, another 4 byte list somewhere else) but there wouldn't be any list needing to be expanded (list in CO already include every map sprite anyway.) As for THE OAM data, direct it to a new list that only holds positioning data for 16 visable/usable actors, regardless of what skin or color they are.

Yeah, might be a dumb idea... "Simply just write new loading code, easy peasy!" But really, OAM data has been cussed for years now as a limiting factor, "simple" solution is to get rid of it (take note I said simple solution, not simple task.) Might result in a little slower loading, maybe.

But if your that close to cracking it after all this time, please do! Would be nice to see it broke finally, in which case ignore this idiot and continue, best of luck to ya's either way.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finishing Off The Complete Roster Hack - by Catone - 01-30-2020, 09:20 PM