Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Casting Spells Taught by Espers - RESOLVED!

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
Any praise is appreciated, but I wouldn't have gotten even half that far if it weren't for B-Run. I can't program for beans.

In all honesty, I put this project on the backburner because while I did figure out what I needed to do conceptually to make this work for the menu outside of battle, I hit a different roadblock for each approach I tried.

With the "cast from the magic menu" option, I couldn't get the magic percentage subroutine to recognize when an Esper was equipped on a character. That and having to redo Gogo's spell menu to incorporate the "Esper equipped" spells of the other characters would be a hassle as I'd have to get the code for his menu to look at the Espers equipped by the other characters. Gogo's magic menu outside of battle just pulls the spells everyone already knows, so either I'd have to write custom code to check for spells from equipped Espers of other characters or I'd have to add more code to C2 to check for the actual spell lists themselves of the other characters in Gogo's case (in battle) just to be consistent. More succinctly, either I would have to allow Gogo to access those "equipped" spells both in and out of battle or I'd have to disallow Gogo's access both in and out of battle for balance reasons. That I couldn't get the other part to work, though, renders this point moot.

With the "cast from the Esper menu" option, I realize I would have to examine the spell that is listed when putting the cursor on it (the spell list menu only reads for display purposes at startup), subject it to the same tests as regular spells, then if and only if it is able to be cast, change the color so that it is enabled (since that's how this menu handles it) connect the eligible spells to the cast menu. As you've noted, getting that spell ID alone is kind of hard (there's a reason why you can only cast spells from the magic menu), and I'd have to either clone or hijack the casting subroutines after figuring out how to get the spell ID to load.

Because I got stuck, I followed auraplatonic's suggestion in another thread and opened up the "Imbued Magic" patch to see what was done there, but when I saw it rewrote the magic function entirely instead of just working with the existing code, I realized I was too dumb to hack and settled for lurking around these parts.

So because of that and because the spare time on my hands evaporated...I called it quits.

You have a good solution as I would have never thought of hijacking the Esper equip function.  So if you want to take over, be my guest.  Again, I'm no coder and I have neither the aptitude nor intelligence to get this working the way I want in a timely manner.

As for the title, when I first created this thread I was naive and thought that if I got over that one little hurdle in my initial post, it would be an easy ride from there. I didn't bother about being descriptive because I just wanted help with one little thing.  Now, I realize I need help with too many things as I know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by B-Run - 04-05-2017, 09:39 PM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by Turbotastic - 04-13-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by madsiur - 04-13-2017, 12:38 AM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by seibaby - 04-13-2017, 04:20 AM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by B-Run - 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by Turbotastic - 08-06-2017, 10:30 PM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by seibaby - 12-10-2017, 10:09 AM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by seibaby - 08-09-2017, 06:44 PM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by Turbotastic - 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM
RE: Troubleshooting Code - by seibaby - 08-27-2017, 01:05 PM