The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Newbie Finally Figures Something Out (NOT a help request)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
There's really nowhere I can post this that it would be on topic, but since this is the hacking section, I thought I'd share this episode of idiocy.

Because I have had so much difficulty trying to just follow existing code, I decided to scale back my ambitions. I decided to perform the simplest form of event editing I could, by telling the game to do nothing. After reading the Event Dump, I chose to edit the event where Raiden was acquired.

As you know, the event occurs when the player talks to the petrified queen in the Ancient Castle with the Odin magicite. After the message is displayed, the game takes away the Odin magicite and gives the player the Raiden Esper, I would blank out the taking of the Esper Odin when granted, allowing the player to keep Odin and get Raiden.

So, I opened the rom up in my hex editor, and after going to the right address (row 000C1F80, column 01), I see "87' followed by "41" to the right. I changed "87" to FD, saved the rom, then tested it by playing through that section.

It did not work. 

When I triggered the event it ended, but only Odin remained in my possession. In fact, I could talk to the queen over and over again, with her tear detaching from her position in subsequent attempts and started to begin at a lower position on the screen.

I got scared, trying and failing to discover what was wrong. I tried to set up a breakpoint to no avail. Why didn't my change work? Obviously I did change something to allow me to keep Odin and to repeat a non-repeatable event.

Then it hit me. I had to replace not only the hex at  0C1F81 to FD but I had to do the same for the value at 0C1F82 as both addresses were code. I had mistakenly assumed the "41" was data and thus would have gotten skipped completely.

So I changed that address to FD as well, and the event proceeds as intended. However, I realize that if I'm stumbling over something as easy as this, maybe I'm just not cut out for modding, especially when all the hard work of discovery and tool building has been done by so many others before me. 

Side Note: I am either REALLY sleepy or my font size is changing in my posts.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Newbie Finally Figures Something Out (NOT a help request) - by Turbotastic - 09-27-2016, 02:03 AM