Poll: What thing about RPGs do you dislike the most?
This poll is closed.
Random battles 18.63% 79 18.63%
The need to grind/level up 20.28% 86 20.28%
Too much reading 2.59% 11 2.59%
Solo character parts 2.83% 12 2.83%
NPCs blocking your movement 8.96% 38 8.96%
Linearity 6.13% 26 6.13%
Cliche story 4.48% 19 4.48%
Cliche characters 3.07% 13 3.07%
Weak final boss 12.03% 51 12.03%
Imbalance 4.48% 19 4.48%
Nonsensical/loopholes 3.07% 13 3.07%
Lack of backstory 3.77% 16 3.77%
Too time intensive 1.18% 5 1.18%
The need to heal after battles 2.83% 12 2.83%
Other/Nothing 5.66% 24 5.66%
Total 424 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What thing about RPGs do you dislike the most?

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Basically a combination of a few of these.

I just cannot play a game if I don't like the battle system, and if the battle system is really good, then I don't mind grinding, games that follow this are things like Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean The Last Hope and Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World (That tales game in particular since you need to farm to get enemies to join you and the way you use different elemental artes to fill the recruitment or the limit break gauge is very well done.)

If the characters are bland, uninteresting or just poorly written, I can tolerate it if the rest of the game makes up for it. (aka, battle system combined with art style.) but it really makes me uninterested in the story and I'll often just skim past the plot and say 'alright, who's next to DIE!?'

If the story is just bad and relies on plotholes and not even explaining the plot, then it's... pretty... awful and it takes a REALLY good battle system for me to overlook it.

I enjoy story, but if the game is nothing but story, then I'd just read a book, and some games, I played a game that literally had 40+ minute cutscenes. I forget the name of it, but you kill a boss, and you have FORTY MINUTES of nothing but cutscenes before you can even move your character.

I going to do a LP of that game, and at the time, you had a hard timelimit of 15 minutes otherwise youtube wouldn't let you upload the video.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO RECORD A LP FOR A GAME THAT HAS 40+ MINUTE CUTSCENES!?

As for cliche characters, there's tropes.

And it's literally impossible to NOT have tropes, since you can avert them, play it straight or subtly use them, ergo it's impossible to not have cliches...

But overall, you just need balance between everything in the game that isnt too heavy, isn't too light and played just right.

But I really like games like Final Fantasy 9 that if you just play it normally, you miss out on all the sidequest things that by themselves, have potentially 30+ hours and so much background story and fleshes out the game and its characters that require multiple playthroughs in order to master everything the game has to offer.

On the same coin, I dislike the system of Persona 3 and 4 with fixed dates and all kinds of micro management in which you need to juggle your social life, try to pinpoint the exact dates you need to spend with certain people, which days you can train your characters, which days you need to go to the shrine and wish you're closer to your friends, which days you need to go fishing for a friggin' goldfish to make a guy not afraid of cats and not even be able to buy breadcrumbs to buy them...

I love the Persona games, but 3 suffers from idiotic team AI that makes me miss turns (bad combat system) and it has a tedious date system where we need to micromanage and save scum in order to try to get good school results and social links, whereas 4 vastly improved the battle system, but still had the micromanagement of the social links and everything else.

I want to play a game where calling upon a former life of myself gives me magical powers, not going to class and failing English because I spent too much time killing demons and not reading Of Mice and Men...

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What thing about RPGs do you dislike the most? - by Murak Modder - 05-26-2015, 06:14 AM