Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My first day, and already disappointment...

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
First off, you're already getting better. First you were just talking about Zone Doctor, now your posting Offsets and lines of code. So yes, that's a step in the proper direction.

Second, don't expect that link thread to make a whole lot of sense at this point. You needed to read it for sure, but it IS a little advanced at a beginner level. That being said, by reading it you did pick up a little bit and it introduced you to some things. After you've gain a little proficiency, go back and read it again. You'd be amazed at how much info you missed the first time.

Now, if you haven't already done it, get a copy of:
  1. Event Script
  2. Event Commands
I'd get you a link but they are not overly hard to find (and its a bit of a pain to hunt them down while I'm at work). If you don't have them, or absolutely can't find them, I'll get you a link when I'm able.

This is all from the Event Script document.

Code:
CC/A621: 40 01 01       Assign properties $01 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A624: 3D 01        Create object $01
CC/A626: 37 01 01        Assign graphics $01 to object $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A629: 43 01 01        Assign palette $01 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A62C: 45            Refresh objects
That's where Locke gets created for the first time.

Code:
CA/7CA1: 40 03 03        Assign properties $03 to character $03 (Actor in stot 3)
CA/7CA4: 7F 03 03        Change character $03's name to $03 (SHADOW)
CA/7CA7: 37 03 03        Assign graphics $03 to object $03 (Actor in stot 3)
CA/7CAA: 43 03 04        Assign palette $04 to character $03 (Actor in stot 3)
CA/7CAD: 98 03        Invoke name change screen for character $03 (Actor in stot 3)
That's where Shadow gets created for the first time. (Just for referance).

Keep in mind alot of the stuff after the Command (The first byte) is entered in reverse... well sometimes anyway. (Look at CA/7CAA for example. 43 is the command, 03 is the actor your changing, and 04 is the palette you are assigning. Hence, 43 03 04 is Assign - Actor 03 - Palette -04)

Not sure if you understood that part or not, it doesn't really stand out on someone like Locke because the Character and Palette are the same number, so just pointing it out.

Now, Compare those two blocks of code, if you want to turn Locke into Shadow using the event, you could do this:
Code:
CC/A621: 40 01 03       Assign properties $03 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A624: 3D 01        Create object $01
CC/A626: 37 01 03        Assign graphics $03 to object $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A629: 43 01 04        Assign palette $04 to character $01 (Actor in stot 1)
CC/A62C: 45            Refresh objects

Now, if I did that correctly, Actor 01 should be loaded effectively as Shadow. This would stick until another event replaced it. Not sure when that happens with Locke but it happens often with Shadow, I think. And I'm pretty sure you'd still have to set the other palette at the other offset from that linked thread (For overworld palette). But that should give you something to play with.

The line at CC/A621 for Properties, will give him the skills and stats of Shadow if set to 03, you might want to leave that at 01 if you want to have the Steal command, or edit the character properties in FF3usME for Shadow, but that's another story.

Also, those offsets (as well as the entire Event Script) are for a ROM with NO header. (A header being 200 bytes of 00 at the start of the ROM btw). So if your ROM has a header, you would add 200 to that (CC/A621 for a headerless rom is CC/A821 on a Headered ROM). If you have a ROM with NO header, then don't add 200.

It's early, I'm still drinking my coffee, and in a hurry so I probably missed something. Typing this out from work isn't idea either so... make a backup, give it a try and see what happens. Post your results, more questions, etc and we'll go from there. Good luck

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: My first day, and already disappointment... - by Catone - 03-20-2015, 07:21 AM