The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI - T Edition... The Translation

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey all!

I would like to take up the task of translating Final Fantasy VI - T Edition into English!

But... I have zero romhacking experience. I have the computer-literacy to hack and I can use editors - I just always found myself on the consuming end of hacks rather than the producing end.

I've lurked around here before, but I figure now is the time! 2 days before my birthday, I think it's about time I challenge myself and try to give something back to one of my favorite RPG's ever.

That said, I'm curious where to start. I've been scouring the internet for books, guides, and tutorials. I'm building up a bookmark folder for all of these things FF6-Hacking / SNES hacking related, which is how I ended up back here.

I was wondering if you guys had any advice. I have a couple newb questions, and would greatly appreciate your help in answering those as well as providing any wisdom you can. Anything I need to look up on my own I can and will, don't let me take up much of your time with my questions.

When answering these questions, you can assume that I'll learn how to proficiently use any program you're talking about.

1 - What tools should I use to rip text from the Japanese rom and replace it with English?

2 - Is replacing the script in English as simple as simply translating the script and re-inserting it? I'm assuming each box of dialogue has a code and the corresponding text comes up when that code is called?

3 - There are some special insertions of text (a big example being the status screen with all sorts of neat info) - Does anyone have an idea how I should go about translating that?

I've attached a couple pictures

A list of some of the mechanics changes can be found here - http://whatisacrepe.com/ff6t/change.html

A list of the hefty amount of event additions is in a Japanese list at the bottom of that link.

!! I'm so new I can't even get the attachments to work *blush* Will fix asap
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Final Fantasy VI - T Edition... The Translation - by 2Black2Strong - 01-19-2015, 06:37 PM