The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Starting my very first FF6 hack and had some basic questions.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Ahoy ahoy! I plan on posting in the introduction thread, but I wanted to get this out before it all escaped my brain.

I tried this once before with Final Fantasy Tactics, but I hit some pretty major roadblocks and ultimately had to drop the project. I want to do a mod of the game, that much is obvious. I don't think I'm overly ambitious, and I feel like I have a good groundwork for what I want out of it. Two playable characters, maybe a guest or two thrown in. A couple hours of gameplay, maybe a dungeon or two. It's going to be about two DnD characters from an old campaign I was in. Jago, son of the dark dragon, and Zaida, harbringer of the blue age. Mine and my girlfriend's characters respectively.

For those of you interested, here was the first (and only scene) I was able to get working. Obviously art/class name, etc. was all placeholder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lf2P_VRkLw

Anyway, onto bigger things. I have some general ideas for what I want out of this. Those two characters will be the focus. Zaida being a divine/primal type character with a focus on magic, Jago being a rougish, dark magic fellow. I haven't decided if I want them both to learn magic naturally or just Zaida. Jago steals souls, so I'm wondering if it's possible to just allow him to use Magicite to learn magic but not Zaida. One of my first questions is this: If I assign a non-magic ability like a lore or blitz to a piece of magicite, will it show up in the correct menu? That will really help determine what I want to do.

I know I want them both to have a unique command. I'm leaning towards SwdTech for Jago, but I haven't decided what for Zaida. Maybe even using SwdTech and renaming it Pray, or Prayer or something. The soulstealing idea I can go in a lot of directions with. Giving him a set of accessories only he can equip and making them monster drops, giving him the only access to magicite, or giving him the throw command and just making souls the only throwable items. I'm still at a pretty big loss for what to do with Zaida though while keeping her interesting. So in essence, Jago would be something like Fight, SwdTech, ????, Item. Zaida would be Fight, Magic, ????, Item. It's all a matter of figuring out the best methods of staying true to their characters while also being fun to play.

A couple of other problems are I'm really not sure how to program events into this game. That one in the video above took about a month of work because I had to learn everything from the ground up. I also have no idea how to edit maps. And I'm a terrible spriter. Art is my biggest weak point. I tried for about an hour to make a single sprite today, and I just couldn't even do it. I can't art.

Anyway, that's my giant rant about what I need out of life. Any advice, education, or encouragement would be really appreciated. Hold on
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Starting my very first FF6 hack and had some basic questions. - by ArkthePieKing - 08-24-2014, 05:47 AM