Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
How I'm working it is:

Esper Terra will load her correct pink palette in battle. It will load from the same memory location it currently does (battle palette #6)

She'll still have to use the placeholder palette when showing up in Esper form out of battle.

Characters who use palettes #6 or #7 for their out-of-battle / map palette will be hard-coded to load the very same palette in-battle. In other words, they'll load from the map palette bank, instead of the battle palette bank. You won't be able to independently edit the two palettes, and it will simply ignore their assigned "battle palette". I don't think using two separate palettes is useful anyway.

So you'll be able to keep Esper Terra with her correct palette and still use the newly enabled ones.

Characters using palette #6 will use the default palette #6 from the world map. If people enable palette #6, it will be up to them to do all the event editing and sprite editing it takes to make it work. It sounds like you have already done some work on that.

I spent some time today tracking down the code that loads the mtek armor in battle, in order to make it show up correctly with an edited palette #7. I think I've gotten this tracked down now. I'll have to do a similar thing with the chocobop spell / slot. For both these cases, I'll either have to juggle the palettes dynamically like I'm doing for PCs, or make them separate sprites on the ROM.

Then I'll have to do some editing of the palette and sprite loading in those three special menus (save / shop / party). I'm not sure how hard that will be, but I already did something similar when fixing the bugs that appeared there with the expanded palettes, so I already half know how to do it.

How it will work is: I'll independently allow users to enable palette 6, or 7, or both, or neither. If you enable one of them, the cursors will change on a couple menus. Probably to be simple white triangles with black outlines, rather than the hand cursor. It should be barely noticeable.

If you enable both at once, you'll have to live with the character portraits eliminated from the menu where you select your party. And some more altered sprites -- the little icons in shops that tell you "this increases your defense" or whatever may also have to be altered to use reduced colors.

In total, this should vastly expand the possibilities available for PC colors.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters - by Eggers - 08-22-2013, 11:48 PM