Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Flattering of you to say about my background. My only background is that I've been obsessing about NES / SNES hardware in order to do rom hacks, for the last few months. I've had time on my hands and I'm the kind of person who tends to get intensely into these sorts of things when I have time on my hands. I've read many documents, and fooled around with code that didn't actually "do anything", but got me used to using ASM for this sort of architecture.

At first I was working on a pretty ambitious ASM-involved hack for FF1 for the NES. I may go back to that eventually. But, before it came to fruition, I got interested in FF6, and the SNES, which has greater abilities but also greater complications (it's a 16 bit version of the same architecture, with a couple dedicated co-processors added). I loved FF1 and FF6 both as a kid, and played them many times, and I got interested in expanding them in core ways, and understanding the hardware in order to do that. Both games are very well documented and previously hacked.

- I'll release a "final" version of the palette hack in the new few days, with some enhancements and refinements.
- I'll make it relocatable in some way or another. It should be easy, at least, for me to find the locations of the few jumps that use absolute addresses. I'll just assemble it for two different starting addresses, and look for the difference. I'll also include the ASM file with the patch when I distribute it.
- I'll make sure it can handle new sprite IDs whenever they're inserted, since I have a feeling a lot of people who want to use it will want to do that. It's almost "what it's for". There should be a fairly easy solution with a lookup table / header / thing, so it can use any random values within 0-255.
- Then I'll only do more revisions if someone finds a bug, or an important incompatibility with another hack.

Is your hack the 15th man project, or do you have another one too?

The palette thing was the first of three or four ambitious / new things I wanted to do if I could. Adding new fully-functional PCs is another.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters - by Eggers - 08-14-2013, 04:42 PM