Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6, How to play it using custom mp3 replacements for each zone.

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
More about that, I asked Zerra Deth, the creater of CTM before about a possible FF6 version of his program since they use such similar music cores, and this is what he responded with:

Zerra Deth: Okay, after some quick investigation, while the music formats for the game are the same, the engine itself is different. I'm not sure how different, but it at least uses different command numbers and obviously different offsets for sending information to the SPC. I assumed it would be the same since CT, the CT-Pre and RD all share the same exact engine. I'm not sure how easy it would be to port CTM to work with FFIV, it would require a good chunk of rewriting and the behaviors that CTM mimics to "emulate" CT's audio engine might not be the same as those in FFVI.

If you have experience with hex editing and whatnot to make your own code in the ROM, you may be able to do it itself. You could probably strip out the Epoch and Credits fix (though you might need something similar for other songs in FF6), you would have to change the offsets for patching the song pointer to silence, you would have to change the 4 bytes for checking if the ROM is FF6, you will probably need to change the silence song, since after getting to know the SPC engine in CT more extensively, the way they use pointers is janky so the silence track is probably the "same" in FF6, but the pointers/bytes themselves are different so the memcompares would fail between the two. Then you would have to find where the game sends commands to the SPC (hardware registers 2410 - 2413) (only supported ones, such as Song Changes, and Volume Changes (and also hope that the song interruptions work the same way, or that they don't exist at all, those are a f**k**g mess) and then do custom code for them, which basically consists of patching the place that command is used to use a jump, store the command and params to the end of ram where CTM can see them, run the code that you patched over for the jump, and return.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Messages In This Thread
FF6, How to play it using custom mp3 replacements for each zone. - by animehunter123 - 07-04-2013, 01:55 AM
RE: FF6, How to play it using custom mp3 replacements for each zone. - by Gi Nattak - 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM