Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mod Idea: FF1 rebuild of FF6

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Thanks for all that information Madsiur, that's actually really helpful.

Actually about the magic learning, if I were to stay true to the classic FF1 style I was expecting to replace relics with "books" which will only be accessible to certain classes (like "Blink" for white mage, or "Fire" for black and red mages) which will teach the magic at a percentage.

The event editing was similar to what I was looking at. I haven't gotten too far into event hacking yet, but I've noticed from the event script dump you should be able to create an event that sets a character's sprite/palette. If you can do that I figure why can't you make two events which do that and allow the player to only pick one of the options?

I suppose there is another drag here though, is it possible to have an event which assigns a specific actor's properties (stats, abilities, equipment lists) to a character? Looking at the event dump this seems doable, right?
Code:
CA/5E37: 40    Assign properties $00 to character $00 (Actor in slot 0)
I'm taking an educated guess this bit of code tells the game to assign Terra the stats and abilities she is supposed to have. Could you not make a branching event that would assign any property (say a selection from $00-05) to actor $00 to make a character that could be any other actor? Then do the same with characters $01, $02, and $03?

I mean if the coding works out then it's just an issue of either creating a menu -- or more easily a series of screens similar to the "choose a scenario" map, with all 6 classes standing there as events which assign the traits to your characters. Talk to a fighter on screen 1 to put a fighter in your party in slot 1, talk to a red mage on map 2 to put a red mage in slot 2, etc.

I'm figuring this is doable, just hasn't be done before for the very reason of "why would any bother?" But I'm curious about this system, it could hypothetically open the way for some very interesting hacks where you could branch off creating mutually exclusive characters. This could make for some very interesting hack ideas.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Mod Idea: FF1 rebuild of FF6 - by Ghost XIII - 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM
RE: Mod Idea: FF1 rebuild of FF6 - by madsiur - 02-06-2013, 11:50 PM
RE: Mod Idea: FF1 rebuild of FF6 - by Ghost XIII - 02-07-2013, 12:52 PM
RE: Mod Idea: FF1 rebuild of FF6 - by madsiur - 02-07-2013, 01:36 PM
RE: Mod Idea: FF1 rebuild of FF6 - by Ghost XIII - 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM