Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Creating a new area after Kefka has been killed (FFVI Dragon's Den in FF3 US)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(05-26-2011, 03:48 PM)angelo26 Wrote:
(05-26-2011, 12:45 PM)danyetman Wrote: but I'm in that dangerous partially-educated stage where I regurgitate more than I understand.

I cannot stop laughing on this one Laugh

I'm so glad that my ineptitude and inexperience gives you pleasure. We Germans have a word for that, actually. It's Schadenfreude. Go look it up...jerk.Laugh

(05-26-2011, 03:48 PM)angelo26 Wrote: If you've seen if/else statements from any programming courses at college, this may make some sense. Depending on which events have taken place, the IF instruction asks the game: Has the event occurred? If it has, let's do the next instruction.

For that particular address, when [$1EA4, bit 7] is set, then the game executes the next instruction: "Load subroutine CA/02D5", or simply, "let's go to address CA/02D5, complete all actions, and return back to this point to continue executing other pieces of code.

Yes, I took Visual Basic.NET in University, but that was several years ago, and the only programming language, I'm ashamed to say, that I'm reliably good at is...erm...Object REXX.

Laugh, and I shall smite thee with big...smitey...things...of smite-itude.

But back on topic:

"CA/019B: C0 If ($1E80($127) [$1EA4, bit 7] is set), branch to $CA02D5"

So, let me see if I understand this. $CA/019B: C0 is the instruction within the Hi-ROM bank of CA, which is basically just a convenient way of saying the Hex address of 000A019B gets changed to C0 from its previous value?

Then a simple If/Else, which translates to "If Eventbit $1E80 is set to $127, then jump to bank instruction $CA/02D5 and proceed from there, otherwise Eventbit $1EA4 is set to bit 7". I'm fairly confident in all of that...up until the "Eventbit $1EA4" part.

(05-26-2011, 03:48 PM)angelo26 Wrote:
(05-26-2011, 12:45 PM)danyetman Wrote: Anyway, my question is essentially "How would I create an overworld airship event similar to entering the Phoenix Cave or Kefka's tower, but instead directing it to a map of my choosing, as well as ONLY having it be available AFTER Kefka has snuffed it?"

Good question, I actually don't know about this one. My guess is that you would need a bit to mark the first time someone enters the phoenix cave or kefka's tower. And, when it's the first time you enter one of these places, you'd like to load the map of the falcon with the party on top of it, and have a specific event unfold only once. That's where the IF comes in handy.

I'd already discovered the "first time" instruction for Kefka's Tower, but I think I will take a look at the Thamasa/Esper Mountain event, though I was originally thinking of the Thamasa/Ebot's Rock event. Same difference.

The difficulty, I think, will be in finding a bit that is set after the defeat of Kefka and either before or after the credits in order to set up a save operation, followed by an event trigger that will 'unlock' the new area.

Ai yi yi yi....
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Creating a new area after Kefka has been killed (FFVI Dragon's Den in FF3 US) - by danyetman - 05-26-2011, 10:21 PM