Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Starting my very first FF6 hack and had some basic questions.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
(09-08-2014, 03:37 PM)ArkthePieKing Wrote: Edit: Okay, so I'm doing this thing, and I'm already finding either inconsistencies with my own ability to follow instruction, or the tutorial. The very first thing it has me do is find offset CC/985F via Ctrl+G then search for C985F. However the written tutorial goes on to say that the Event Script is wrong. The event script says that the last hex there is $6B, but what he finds is $31. However, what I got actually was $6B when I followed his instructions, so now I'm hesitant to go any further since what he said was wrong actually ended up being right. I hope that made sense.

There is a reason for this. There are both headered and unheadered ROMs. A header is 200 (hexadecimal 200) bytes of code that is at the start of the ROM, but not every ROM has a header. When a ROM has a header, everything is pushed down by 200 bytes. The Event Script was made using an unheadered ROM (like yours), so it matches your ROM perfectly.

However, the tutorial was made using a headered ROM, so xJCSx had to account for that. His method of Ctrl-G is strange though (not ineffective, but slow); normally you'd just add 200 (again, hexadecimal 200) to the address given in the Event Script. This would give the address of the proper byte on a headered ROM, which was necessary for him and not for you.

Confused Moogles FTW

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting my very first FF6 hack and had some basic questions. - by Lockirby2 - 09-08-2014, 05:27 PM