Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
(08-12-2013, 11:24 PM)Eggers Wrote: This is such a good idea. I wish I'd thought of it. It might be a little finicky to get working with the different palettes and so on, but I don't think it should be impossible.

I know that most of these graphics (the numerals and so on) are compressed. I remember reading somewhere where they are, but I can't seem to find the information. Anyone have it?

But anyway, I can't think of any fundamental reason this idea won't work. And it should cut down on the writing time drastically. The only downside I can think of is that I'll need to find a few bytes of unused RAM to store which palette indices are unused. The number of bytes needed to replace, though, should be drastically fewer.

The only reason this isn't a total solution is that, like I said, reading probably takes longer than writing.

Actually, I did think of one complication: Crusader overwrites the greens at the end of the 4th loaded battle palette. You would need to make sure they write to the colors new locations and that the crusader sprite knows where to read them, which could be a real pain. Still, I would be willing to give up crusader for this.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Patch: allowing use of "reserved" palette colors for player characters - by B-Run - 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM