Users browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)
FF6 - Brave New World

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
While Aldous Huxley would have probably been a more profound inspiration for the title of this mod, in actuality it's because we're both huge Iron Maiden fans. Brave New World is the title of one of their albums.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
As a general note, more speed = more turns + turns come sooner. Thus, more battle wins and faster, too, since you can act sooner and just delay if you need.

High speed in FFVI is like high initiative in certain other games. It lets you go first, determine who's next, and what happens to them.

This is why, when possible, I always fully outfit my team with Sprint Shoes!
  Find

Thanks Received: 5
Status
None
(12-03-2013, 02:54 AM)Endarire Wrote: As a general note, more speed = more turns + turns come sooner. Thus, more battle wins and faster, too, since you can act sooner and just delay if you need.

High speed in FFVI is like high initiative in certain other games. It lets you go first, determine who's next, and what happens to them.

See, this is the attitude that I take toward speed, which is why I find it more useful than some other folks do. I do agree that there reaches a certain breakpoint where you get less return for your investment because of the limitations of how fat you can act (with the exception of Gau, who can act on his own).

I tend to treat speed like I treat HP in building my characters - I'll give anyone with a speed bonus a few levels in it and then move them on to something else.

"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... b*t*h." -Simon Belmont

Threads: 1
Status
None
Hey guys!

Just wanted to give you guys a shout out and say the patch is amazing. I started out with the clean version, just for the lolz, and switched over to the normal version when I realized I was probably missing out on some awesome content, since that was the way it was intended. I originally posted because I was having issues getting the switch to work, but I managed Tongue.

Thanks again for this!
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Status
None
Well as a rule, if at first it doesn't succeed simply borrow the power of SARDINES!
  Find

Status
None
So for those not following any of the other forums of discussion (here and here), the main thing in the works for version 1.3.1 is reintroducing Edgar's two missing tools:

Defibrillator: revives a party member to an amount of HP based on the user's magic power. Someone also suggested allowing it to deal single-target, defense-piercing lightning damage to a single enemy (basically Edgar's version of Aura Bolt or Dragon), but I'm not sure how realistic the implementation of that sort of ability would be.
Mana Battery: restores some amount of MP (based on the user's magic power) to a single party member. Admittedly, half the reason for this tool is so we could use Mana Battery as the name of it.

Along with that, we'll be changing the distribution of Edgar's tools to give a better sense of progression to the command. The Drill and Chainsaw will also be re-worked to further differentiate them.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 0
Status
None
I like the idea; would help justify getting some Magic on Edgar, since his healing falls off pretty hard once Cure 2 stops being relevant. I've also really liked Flash as an early game monster wipe tool (He's probably the best character from Narshe through Vector thanks to it), but beyond that he didn't have much of a reason for magic use.

Maybe modify Chainsaw into the magic-based elemental damage tool? I tend to ignore it most of the time (Didn't even bother getting it until the endgame gear collection extravaganza, this last playthrough) because despite the notably higher damage, the instakill proc usually did more harm than good (Most things I'm aiming to hit with massive single-target damage are immune to it), so Drill and AutoCrossbow were my mainstay tools. Giving it a niche beyond "Stronger Drill, has a miss chance" would help make it more appealing.
  Find

Status
None
The biggest problem with changing the Chainsaw to something completely different is that BTB and I are both graphically inept, and doing something like that would likely entail introducing a new tool graphic.

Another problem is that I think we've already got a working idea of how we want the Drill/Chainsaw paradigm to work.

Brave New World
  Find

Threads: 0
Status
None
Hey, just wanted to say I'm enjoying your hack quite a bit. I have a minor problem or two with the hack, but I'm more than willing to put up with them for the sake of enjoying the pros the hack has to offer. The hack probably isn't as hard as I feel it is, as I've been playing on battle speed 1 the whole time and only just learned it makes the enemies faster, but not the player. I've got all my WoB characters back in the WoR, defeated Doom Gaze, and killed three of the dragons. I just wanted to ask a question about the dragons. How would you rank them from weakest to strongest? I've taken down the purple, red and brown dragons, but lost to the silver dragon.
  Find

Thanks Received: 5
Status
None
From the comments I've received, the consensus is that the White and Brown dragons are the hardest. The rest tend to vary greatly depending on when in the game you choose to take them down; the Purple one tends to be a royal b*t*h by sheer virtue that it's the first one you fight, while the Gold and Green tend to be easier since they come last.

The only other factor is that the ones representing the "main" elements (Silver, Red, Gold, and Green) have more HP than the others. This makes their fights take longer to make up for the fact that their elements (with the exception of Green, who attacks mostly with status effects) are easier to defend against.

"You don't have to be a vampire to die like one... b*t*h." -Simon Belmont