FF6 Hacking
Character Names and Dark World Theme? - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Character Names and Dark World Theme? (/thread-2534.html)

Character Names and Dark World Theme? - Royaken - 03-26-2014

So I have 2 questions here and I feel like the 1st one is not gonna be doable xD

1st, can I increase the amount of characters a character can have in their name? Maybe as a default I can but not when changing the name, correct?

2nd, I thought I saw this some where, but can't seem to find it now xD. I might be blind. I want to keep the Dark World theme when not on the Airship and only have Searching for Friends when I get on the Airship. How would I go about that???

RE: Character Names and Dark World Theme? - madsiur - 03-26-2014

(03-26-2014, 11:07 AM)Royaken Wrote: 1st, can I increase the amount of characters a character can have in their name? Maybe as a default I can but not when changing the name, correct?

The Pandora's Box team has done it. They increased the max length of a character name by one letter. This require you to be comfortable with ASM coding and I presume you need to rearrange some of the SRAM as well as the naming screen.

(03-26-2014, 11:07 AM)Royaken Wrote: 2nd, I thought I saw this some where, but can't seem to find it now xD. I might be blind. I want to keep the Dark World theme when not on the Airship and only have Searching for Friends when I get on the Airship. How would I go about that???

You can assign a song to a map in FF6LE (or Zone Doctor). Just change the song index in the Falcon map. It's a setting on the left menu of the map.

RE: Character Names and Dark World Theme? - Royaken - 03-26-2014

(03-26-2014, 11:23 AM)Madsiur Wrote: The Pandora's Box team has done it. They increased the max length of a character name by one letter. This require you to be comfortable with ASM coding and I presume you need to rearrange some of the SRAM as well as the naming screen.

You can assign a song to a map in FF6LE (or Zone Doctor). Just change the song index in the Falcon map. It's a setting on the left menu of the map.

Thanx for the quick response as always Madsiur xD. Assigning a song to the map seems simple enough. Idk why I didn't think about that xD (Veldt -cough cough-). I'll see what I can see in Pandora's box and post here if I have any questions. Thanx!

RE: Character Names and Dark World Theme? - madsiur - 03-26-2014

Concerning the character name length, I would suggest you tackle this project when you know how to code with ease.

(03-26-2014, 12:11 PM)Madsiur Wrote: Concerning the character name length, I would suggest you tackle this project when you know how to code with ease.

Ah. Really that complicated???

RE: Character Names and Dark World Theme? - Lockirby2 - 03-26-2014

(03-26-2014, 12:41 PM)Royaken Wrote: Ah. Really that complicated???

Expanding things beyond what the original game was planned to handle is usually complicated, even if it seems simple (like this). It's rarely a case of "Change variable X from a 6 to a 10 and you have 10 letter long names," because menus, text boxes, the code itself, etc. are made to accommodate 6 letter names.

(03-26-2014, 02:06 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Expanding things beyond what the original game was planned to handle is usually complicated, even if it seems simple (like this). It's rarely a case of "Change variable X from a 6 to a 10 and you have 10 letter long names," because menus, text boxes, the code itself, etc. are made to accommodate 6 letter names.

Makes perfect Sense. I remember there was a hassle trying to change GP to Gold and there was a lot I had to do with that including changing X and Y locations xD