Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
My first sprite!

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hey everyone! After much work (with zero artistic talent) I present my first character...Zalam! I based him off edgar's sprite so I can figure out how the process works, for my next character I'm building it from scratch completely. Enjoy! [Image: Ud8umrCl.png]
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
He's a bit hard to check. It would be easier if you shared the spritesheet in original or 2x scaled format..
  Find

Threads: 9
Status
Slow
Even though the full picture isn't in full view. It still looks good.
  Find

Status
None
can you give me a quick tutorial on how to upload it like that? Sorry not so saavy when it comes to these things haha! I want to give it the best quality for you all possible.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(11-26-2016, 04:07 PM)Xzephor Wrote: can you give me a quick tutorial on how to upload it like that?

You can just export the spritesheet in FF3usME or FF3SE and post it. The one in your screenshot of the editor is not full size.

If you want to post a double scaled version, open the file in Gimp and select "Image" -> "Scale Image". Double the pixel width and height and select "None" in filter, click "Ok" after. You'll have a double sized spritesheet.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Xzephor (11-26-2016)

Status
None
Thanks Mad! Here we are now![Image: qK85ONGl.png]

And here is the double size one in gimp (just testing it out)

[Image: fEXRfQkl.png]
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
It looks pretty good to me, but I'm sure there's room for improvement. I lack any real form of spriting skills, though, so I cannot give much valuable suggestions. I will however say the skin shading does look a bit awkward imo, especially for the back poses - that much lighter tan color seems to just stand out and clash with the darker brown, or maybe it's how the shading is being done I'm not sure. It's kind of hard to distinguish what is what to me and took e a while to realize that was his lighter skin tone.

I'm assuming he has something covering his mouth as well? Besides this the turban seems to lack some depth, unless it's more of a du-rag. Maybe take a look at this sprite poco did of snow to get a reference:
https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/edeb/l...?size_id=2
I realize snow is not wearing a turban, but it looks similar.

It's a good 1st sprite for sure, and you will only get better and better.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Xzephor (11-27-2016)

Status
None
Thanks Gi! I appreciate the feedback and criticism, it only helps to make me look outside the box! And yes the wrap is covering his mouth as well, pretty much only the middle/top of his face is visible. Ill check out those examples you gave me and alter the light tone of his skin for sure.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 1
Status
Debrave
It's a very good start and better than anything I can do, but there are a couple problems.

First is the pallette you chose. I understand precisely why you chose the colors you did, but the shades you picked do not go together. The dark purple bleeds into the dark brown skin, which gives the impression of a blob at best...and at worst, I hate to say this, but an eggplant.

This isn't easy to avoid, because JRPGS of this era tend to assume light skin and the avaiIlable palletes work around this assumption. You're either going to have to work with a lighter purple or creatively connote darker skin with the limited pallette. Take some cues from Vargas and Dadaluma and study those sprites.

Also, another issue is the headgear you chose for your new character. Since you based it on Edgar's sprite, you used his hat-less head as an outline. That makes the head covering look weird in some frames.

Finally, keep in mind that concerning clothing and hair, you do not want to have too much of one solid color.

Again, these are just tips from a person who is terrible at sprinting, so feel free to take my opinions with a grain of salt. I really love the idea. It's the execution which is going to take more work.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Turbotastic for this post:
  • Xzephor (11-28-2016)

Status
None
Absolutely turbo! My skills have greatly increased since I finished this guy and will certainly revisit him when I have even more skills! Here is a teaser of my next character Balg! I made this guy completely from scratch and am super proud of him! Locke is steadily being erased from memory, so dont mind the sprites I haven't got to yet  [Image: 6jN6SLhl.png]
  Find