Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Text Editing Issues...

Status
None
I was hoping to avoid creating an entire thread about this, but I suppose it can't be helped....Skip to "to the point" if you don't want to read my rambling explanation.

I'm in the process of creating a near-complete edit of FFVI, including new enemy/player sprites, enemy scripts, a few custom spells, etc. Essentially, every area of the game that can be edited, will be.

Anyways, while editing the dialogue using FF3usME, I noticed that I wasn't able to edit text spoken by the mostly stationary NPCs (think guards and townspeople), which technically isn't dialogue. I searched high and low for that text using a hex editor, but couldn't find a thing. (Granted, I'm much newer to hex editing than I am with using ROM-hacking utilities, so just I might not be seeing it.)

To the point: Can these little one-box quotes be edited at all, and if so, how? Please don't suggest FF3 Edit, since I'm not about to work with an unstable, incomplete editor for an entire-game's worth of townspeople...

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Yes, every line of text, both dialog & battle spoken in the game can be edited. If you choose to use a hex editor to find the dialog text, make sure to use the correct table file (ff3us.tbl) to see the text, that starts at:CD0200
But I'm fairly confident that FF3usME can edit ALL of the text in the game now. I think you might just be missing it. Sometimes the lines you want to edit for the townsfolk etc. are further down in the ROM data. You might notice some text from the WoR earlier in the ROM as well... its not perfectly in order is what I am trying to say. Give me an example of a certain NPC text you want to edit, and I will try and locate it for you.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(07-20-2010, 07:38 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Yes, every line of text, both dialog & battle spoken in the game can be edited. If you choose to use a hex editor to find the dialog text, make sure to use the correct table file (ff3us.tbl) to see the text, that starts at:CD0200

I've already looked through just about the entire ROM in a hex editor using the ff3us.tbl table file, including the section containing the main dialogue script, and still haven't been able to locate these little one-liners....
(07-20-2010, 07:38 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: But I'm fairly confident that FF3usME can edit ALL of the text in the game now. I think you might just be missing it. Sometimes the lines you want to edit for the townsfolk etc. are further down in the ROM data. You might notice some text from the WoR earlier in the ROM as well... its not perfectly in order is what I am trying to say.

Oh, I'm already aware that isn't all in order; I've already edited about half of the dialogue script, plus all of the story-relevant battle quotes. I've searched ahead, however, and haven't been able to locate any of the text I'm looking for. I'm mostly using FF3usME v6.6, but I also have the 6.7 beta version; should I be using the latter instead of the former?
(07-20-2010, 07:38 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Give me an example of a certain NPC text you want to edit, and I will try and locate it for you.
Alrighty; you'll probably have better luck than I have. In Figaro, one of the stationary guards says "Figaro and the Empire are allies!" when spoken to.

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
"Figaro and the Empire are allies!" should be at index 2917