Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Altering Overworld Palette Offsets

Status
None
Alright, so I'm taking my baby steps into the Final Fantasy hacking world with a graphical hack of the main characters. Everything is going well so far. I've entirely replaced Terra with a new character, and altered her palette.

But now I'm in trouble. I need to change Cyan and Celes to use Terra's palette out-of-battle, too. I know that I need to hex edit the palette pointers to Terra's palette, but... Where are these offsets located and what's their value?

And in case someone suggests to simply change characters, or change palette colors, I fear it's not an option: Terra, Celes and Cyan are only the tip of the iceberg.

I really would appreciate any effort to help or direct me to someone who can help!

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
the best advice I can give you is to look @ Lord J's website

he has the offsets you need in his table files page

(unfortunately since its Angel Fire I can't give you a link cuz it wont load)

he has all of the locations to change the palettes of characters 4 both battle and over wold (no item shop unfortunately because 4 some reason it is somewhere else)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
Here is what you're looking for. Smile
http://www.romhacking.net/docs/154/
  Find

Status
None
To Poco Loco: I looked there first. It didn't help at all.

Not to mention, all I can find in that list related to the overworld/town seem to be the palettes' values themselves, not the palette pointers that I'd need to alter. I'm looking for what's telling the game "load Celes with palette #0" to change it to "load Celes with palette #2".

To Zeemis: I had a look at that, and it doesn't help me anymore than Lord J's page. :-/ I've looked for palette pointers specifically, but there doesn't seem to be any for the overworlds?

I haven't been clear enough, I'm sorry, but I've never actually hex edited anything before. I can't just look at everything, deduce where the palette pointers are, and yay it's over! I wouldn't be here asking for help if that was the case, now would I? Wink I actually do need a small list of "this is telling what colors Terra will be, this is Locke's, etc."

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
If I'm understanding right, you're looking for the offsets for the overworld palettes. Atleast the title makes me think so.
If that's so, the document I linked to you does show that. o_O
12EE00 - 12EEFF | PAL | "World of Balance Palettes"
12EF00 - 12EFFF | PAL | "World of Ruin Palettes"

Ah, I just read what you said to Poco Loco. I think you can set custom palettes with the tool that Lord J made; however, I think that's for characters only. Confused
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
well I suppose you can ask Lord J or Leno directly

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Uhm... I think I should just make an example of what I DO want to do...

I already changed the palettes, everything there is a-ok. But now I need to switch characters to load other palettes than their default. I need Cyan and Celes to share Terra's palette, amongst others.

From what I get, what I'm being linked to is the ACTUAL palettes, as in, the colors and stuff? I need to tell the game "Load Celes with Terra's palette on the overworld", NOT mess up the palettes' colors.

...I'm kind of confused. Huh

I've tried both FF3SE (who edits battle palette association just fine, but not overworld ones) and Lord J's own sprite editor (which lets me VIEW characters with others' palettes, but won't let me CHANGE their actual palette association unless I change the entire palette's color, which isn't an option because then everyone else sharing Cyan and Celes' palettes also get screwed up).