Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
let's talk limit breaks/desperation attacks

Status
None
hi guys,

i'm new to ROM hacking and FF6 hacking. I didn't find anything here re: limit breaks/desperation attacks.

so, what can we do with them? could we

1) increase the % chance of happening when at low health?

2) increase the % chance of happening when at low health for certain characters only?

3) make it an actual selectable skill in the menu, instead of a % chance? maybe one of two ways, if possible:

3a) becomes selectable/usable only when you are at low health
3b) becomes selectable when a variable for a battle counter reaches a certain level (so they would almost act like FF7 limit breaks). could this be kept on a character-by-character basis?

4) change them to make some of them multi-hit? (to make them stronger late game). since we can't display 5 characters of damage, i thought it might be possible to have the limit break hit once, then have more attacks after that with no animation? something like that?

really interested in hearing what our options might be. thanks...

Threads: 25
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I think Zeemis has been working on a system for Limit Breaks. Last I heard, he said that he was gonna add it to the Magic menu, and last I heard, that wasn't gonna cut it. XP >_<

Whelp. I still remember this place 13 years since first joining   Laugh
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
well when u make the desperation attacks to regular magic then it is much easier to edit

however, if you want to keep them as desperation attacks and change the % u will need 2 do some serious ASM hacking

the same method will be needed to make different chars use different attacks (like Mog doing riot blade)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
changing them to regular magic and making them selectable sounds good...but could we somehow limit it so they aren't available every battle, like i mentioned in 3a?

any way to break the 9999 limit? add phantom attacks for extra 'hits'?

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
That is quite impossible (to my knowledge). The best you could do is Get rid of Lore (sorry Strago) and turn it into Limit. Then have each character have a weapon, armor or relic that only they can equip that is the only thing that teaches that spell (Limit).

Now the final and most crucial (and tedious) part: Since it is still magic, this means the use of mp will be crucial. Something simple could counteract this such as:

-lower the MAX MP to something like 500 or so (even 300 would be good)
-Don't give mages Limits (they'll need a higher MAX MP)
-Get rid of most MP restoring items (like all the ethers) and change some of the items that restore hp and mp. So basically make to where only Tents and Inns restore MP.
-In order to restore that lost Mp, you could have a set of weapons which will drain it from enemies. (Mages would probably only use these)
-With that you could have your Limit people dual wield the mp draining weapons and their normal weapons.

All you have to do is consider those with Limit. Imagine their MP being a type of gauge. Once it gets to a certain point you can use of their Limits if you've taught them any.

This is just a suggestion really, take of it what you will. ^-^
  Find

Status
None
(03-01-2010, 12:39 AM)Sutebenukun Wrote: That is quite impossible (to my knowledge). The best you could do is Get rid of Lore (sorry Strago) and turn it into Limit. Then have each character have a weapon, armor or relic that only they can equip that is the only thing that teaches that spell (Limit).

Now the final and most crucial (and tedious) part: Since it is still magic, this means the use of mp will be crucial. Something simple could counteract this such as:

-lower the MAX MP to something like 500 or so (even 300 would be good)
-Don't give mages Limits (they'll need a higher MAX MP)
-Get rid of most MP restoring items (like all the ethers) and change some of the items that restore hp and mp. So basically make to where only Tents and Inns restore MP.
-In order to restore that lost Mp, you could have a set of weapons which will drain it from enemies. (Mages would probably only use these)
-With that you could have your Limit people dual wield the mp draining weapons and their normal weapons.

All you have to do is consider those with Limit. Imagine their MP being a type of gauge. Once it gets to a certain point you can use of their Limits if you've taught them any.

This is just a suggestion really, take of it what you will. ^-^

well that would work but the problem with that (other then the fact you said it would be too tedious) is the fact that command lists would have to be removed as well

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
i see the problem there with making a limit "meter" that builds up.

so, as opposed to that, would there be a way to make a menu option for selecting the limit when the character is in yellow health, as opposed to choosing attack and hoping to get lucky?

what i'm trying to accomplish, mainly, is this: i'm making a natural magic mod where only the mages use magic. i'd like the regular fighters to be able to use their limit breaks on command, if possible...but i'm not sure how to do it, and i'm not sure if there's any way to limit it form being abused.

Status
None
well if anything you are better off asking the people @ Pandora's Box Wink

-HNIC

Status
None
ok...it's just that you mentioned making them regular magic...not sure how i would do that?

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Lucky-Girl
(03-01-2010, 01:54 PM)kmfdm515 Wrote: ok...it's just that you mentioned making them regular magic...not sure how i would do that?

I'm doing that in my hack.

Basicly what you do is you have to replace a magic spell you dont like (Such as the ever useless Break, for example), and you copy over the graphics digits from the limit of choice, and put them in Break's spot. Now when 'Break' is cast, instead it will do the limit/spell you put in it's spot.

Then you just gotta change the spell's properties so that it doesnt turn the enemy to stone, and does damage instead. It's alot easier than I make it sound.

I know I didnt list any program names... because I cant remember. It's been so long, lol Tongue I'm sure Poco Loco will fill in the names for me when he mops up my mess above.

"The doom and gloom is justified.
A couple of people are going to die.
Even though you can turn back the time,
you're always a moment too late!"
  Find