Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Question about lack of space for monster molds...

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Hi! Hello

I was wondering: in the whole battle screen i know that the space for drawing sprites is used from:
- 4 slots for characters, yet it's adapted to Magitek armor size, due to the situations in which you ride the M-tek armors, so it's a bit bigger;
- 128x128 for molds of monsters;
- An unknown size is assigned to when an esper animation is called... anyone knows how much is this space used? it should be greater than 128x128 because it wouldn't be enough to make Crusader fit in that space...;
- Some space is used from Sketch command too, probably another 128x128, since it's the greatest size of sprite you can sketch in the game(am i correct with the actual size used? )
- And i guess also for attack animations, battle command animations, event animations... how much space is used here?

I dunno if something else ask for space too, but the question is:
Let's say for example that we elimate the whole Sketch feature and the space used for it is free again... in that case would be possible to use it to have as max size for mold something like a 256x128? Basically double space for monster molds...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 238
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Some things you are enumerating will never happen at the same time, meaning they most likely share partially or totally the same VRAM (esper, sketch, spell effects, other animations.)

Edit: Also, the SNES resolution is 256x228, where would you fit that mold?
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Wait a minute, character isnt adapted to mtek armor size... I dont think.

It takes the far right 32 of the monsters 128x128 square. Only a palette from PCs.

With that in mind, First you'd need to find out exactly what is sharing with what before attempt that. As Madsiur said, since somethings never happen at the same time, they'd share resourses.

Scetch might use half of espers and espers might use half of Locke's boot to be displayed.

How do you know it doesn't over right his boot? Have you ever looked at his boot while casting a summon?

Another theory is, PC slot and esper drawn on the same square, big esper remove PC, smaller wouldn't need to.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
Locke's boot?!? Surprised Are you talking serious? What happens to his boot? or you are just saying that in order of avoiding showing crappy graphics on characters they make 'em disappear?

I take this chance to ask how some kind of esper sprite is drawn, in particular i'm talking about bahamut esper sprite: if you see that image in SE editor, you can see the bottom part of his image is splitted in some rectangle/square and it would be crappy if drawn like the other sprites...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I'm no VRAM expert, or even a vram noob, but considering how mtek takes a chunk of monster graphics and a palette from PC (I keep going back to this example because it is the one I remember) then...

There is no real telling without testing, exactly what or where stuff is placed for display or if all of one image is displayed in one designated area (in special cases that is, bahamut, crusader, etc).

A guess would be, and I stress GUESS, there may actually be a smaller reserved area for said things like monster,PC,Esper, then a shared area they all use... maybe... I know there are loading instructions for vram for the molds, but I never got any sort of consistant visual change for the poitive by changing them.

In the reading for Egger's palette patch, he talked about ... drawing every other line seperate, or updating it every line or something like that, to trick it into doing more than intended. Might read through some of his notes to see if there are any leads. I know he was doing some crazy stuff with vram at one point, but it was all on a level way over my head.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find