Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Magitek Armor equipable from airship

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Thank you for the info,

I haven't watched the videos (I really hate video tutorials/walkthroughs with a passion), but I have read his writen tutorial, and "All Things Event Hacking" I've had bookmarked for awhile now (what can I say, its good info). But, unless I missed something (or it was in the videos) I haven't seen anything about actually incorporating a completely new event. Again though, maybe I wasn't paying attention to that part. Making the new code activate I guess is the question? I'll read the "Event Hacking Question" tomorrow and... watch... tutorials.
*Edit* That last link is a good one, however, I've been looking for Novalia's event bit list and well google is not my friend. Many many impossibly irrelevent links and a few that are dead. Is this worth having as I suspect and does anybody happen to know where I could get it or am I wasting my effort?

Regarding FF6LE or Zone Doctor, yeah I wasn't planning on even attempting to event edit there. Zone Doctor just seems to be slightly more friendly on the map editing side (maybe thats just me though, but I'm also playing with a reletively clean rom atm). FF6LE definatly seems more stable in the long run. While I was playing in Zone Doctor on the airship, it has a seperate "map" for the Blackjack inside and Falcon inside. They both use the same map obviously but only load the npc and exit data respectivly. Anyhow, on the Blackjack there are placements for Gogo and Umaro (no big deal) but also placements of Cid and "generic town guy". Nothing special with the guy but Cid has some "Load caseword with active party" and set bit info. Event script is CB/23D8
Looks to check a condition or two, and then end maybe? WTF is that all about and is it anything important?

As for the formation glitch, I don't know if I fully understand the issue. Is it just an overlap type problem, certain formations, or special formation adjustment issue? I was reading through code that adjusted for special formations just a day or two ago for some reason. Look complicated but some prodding might produce results, if thats the case. If its directly related to formations, that can be changed (tedious as hell but do-able).

Lastly, hell I keep forgetting about Cyan's dream. I seem to recall that area being somewhat buggy because of that part too, maybe I'm imagining things, but it is something I'll have to visit.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Cyan's Dream is indeed buggy, but I think (not sure on this) if you do your own events correctly, you will not have some of the issues that it had. If you get to that point, you should have no problem fixing Cyan's Dream yourself in fact, if I'm right about how it is set up. However, if you have some party members with Magitek Armor and some without, and you are expecting it to show on the overworld, you will have some issues with the Magitek Armor transferring to other characters on the overworld iirc.

Unfortunately, while you can fix the formation issue by simply not using those formations, I think that it leaves you with significantly less options to work with concerning enemies, considering that these things are planned to be accessible for the entire WoR. It's a really tricky sticking point. Also, this may be an issue with moulds.

As for creating a completely new event, the important thing is to find the space. Madsiur has a video on his channel out that shows how to jump to different banks in the ROM (I know that you dislike video tutorials, but I'm not about to type an explanation for something that's adequately explained elsewhere, I hope you understand). Once you know where the event is going to go in the ROM, you will have to create an event in the LE, presumably when you talk to an NPC. You can place the NPC in the LE, and set the address of the event that occurs when you talk to him/her. That address is now the start of the event, so you can begin to write the commands that you need, likely starting with a jump to extra space for the event.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-19-2015, 08:29 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Madsiur has a video on his channel out that shows how to jump to different banks in the ROM (I know that you dislike video tutorials, but I'm not about to type an explanation for something that's adequately explained elsewhere, I hope you understand).

Yeah I re-uploaded my video on my new channel but without the YT annotation. I hope it is still understandable from beginning to the end :/
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Catone (01-19-2015)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(01-18-2015, 11:32 PM)catone Wrote: *Edit* That last link is a good one, however, I've been looking for Novalia's event bit list and well google is not my friend. Many many impossibly irrelevent links and a few that are dead. Is this worth having as I suspect and does anybody happen to know where I could get it or am I wasting my effort?

His site has been down for a while now. Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mig9k2x2v40oms...s.txt?dl=0
  Find

Status
Zombie
You ROCK! Only spent about half a day trying to dig that page up. Thank you Madsiur.

As far as showing up on the overworld map, I've never thought about how it would work having a party mixed with and without. That being said I really had no intention of forcing it to show the entire party in Magitek if only one is wearing it (Less its not an option). Might not be a bad thing if it would only show out of battle on a character that has the bit set and not on others. Would allow the player to get around maps that don't have space. That would add a whole other level of "cheating" but eh, its kinda the point of doing it in the first place.

And no I don't expect anyone to write a tutorial just for me, especially if the information is already available and linked. At this point I think I've got the direction established, its just a matter of keeping up with where I'm at and heavy referance to the command list.

Thats actually what I'm starting on next (had to take a break from code and let it sink in), while waiting on it to simmer I did the map work.
Back Room Falcon
Cargo Bay Falcon

I'm not overly happy with it but thats how it fit, working with what I had. Had to move some NPCs to another map, it started getting funny at around 18 or 20. So I linked the "back room" from the Blackjack (different map) and moved some characters over from the main room. It seems to work, from the Falcon side, and the Blackjack side, I havn't tried to play the post opera scene though. Eventually I'd like to move that first scene on the airship (where Celes is dropped and helps the others get in) over to where the coin toss is done. Thats gonna fall into more of a "what to do" than a "how to do" I think. This way that room would never been seen from the Blackjack. Whats behind that one door thats locked? Maybe its Setzer private love shack room (You know he's got to have a disco ball), okay I actually linked it to the broom closet he used to hide in on the Falcon, so the door still works. So far, I don't think anything will be missed, and I have somewhere to actually send everything I'm working to collect.

I'm still trying to figure out what this is though:
Code:
CB/23D8: C2    If ($1E80($07D) [$1E8F, bit 5] is clear) or ($1E80($09D) [$1E93, bit 5] is set) or ($1E80($081) [$1E90, bit 1] is set), branch to $CA5EB3 (simply returns)
CB/23E2: DE    Load CaseWord with the characters in the currently active party?
CB/23E3: C0    If ($1E80($1A9) [$1EB5, bit 1] is set), branch to $CA5EB3 (simply returns)
CB/23E9: C0    If ($1E80($1A0) [$1EB4, bit 0] is clear), branch to $CA5EB3 (simply returns)
CB/23EF: 31    Begin action queue for character $31 (Party Character 0), 2 bytes long
CB/23F1: CC        Turn vehicle/entity up
CB/23F2: FF        End queue

Its the event linked to the "Cid" sprite in the under belly of the Blackjack. Then there is this one:
Code:
CA/F47C: C0    If ($1E80($1B6) [$1EB6, bit 6] is set), branch to $CA5EB3 (simply returns)
CA/F482: B2    Call subroutine $CAF493
CA/F486: B2    Call subroutine $CB41A5
CA/F48A: B2    Call subroutine $CB2379
CA/F48E: B2    Call subroutine $CAF506
CA/F492: FE    Return
That I don't know if I can do without. Its the only two events that pop up in the map 007 Blackjack, Inside. That one checks active party and sets alot of bits? But when is it ever touched? The reason it has to go, I removed some map. Making the Blackjack a little smaller, and the Falcon alot bigger. Both those events are on ground thats not there anymore.

Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
One thing that is different from what you are expecting is that the Magitek Armor actually doesn't reduce walking space. The times when you are actually in Magitek Armor in the Imperial Camp and in Narshe, you are actually on an alternate map that has a slightly different "Physical Map" that determines what tiles you can walk on. So if you plunk somebody in Magitek Armor in the middle of South Figaro, they'd be able to walk anywhere that they could normally (I think this will cause some graphical issues, now that I think about it).

The thing about the Magitek Armor on the overworld is that it's essentially all or nothing, in terms of which characters have it. Trying to go in between is what will cause weird issues with application and removal when you attempt to switch party leaders. You could end up with characters who are in Magitek Armor in battle who do not have it on the overworld, or vice-versa. I swear there was a video demonstrating this well, but I can't seem to dig up a link.

I hope that I'm not being discouraging by bringing up all these issues... Sweat

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Zombie
Thats not being discouraging at all, its called planning ahead. Pointing out potential issues that may arise later means I know what to expect, and when an issue does start showing up I'll already have an idea of where/what to look at and possiably a plan to fix it or avoid it completely. While it might be to early to address some of those issues now, still taking notes.

In short, all of those things mentioned that will make this fail are still welcomed as help and much appreciated.

Okay, FF6LE, The show if mem set box, what if I wanted to check a bit like say do have falcon ($1E80 ($0CD) $1E99 Bit 5) for an NPC to show. FF6LE only gives a range from 1EE0 to 1F5F. So even if I could change it via hex edit, wouldnt FF6LE just change it back anyway?

Am I completely wrong here or did I completely miss the obvious answer?

In the same regards is it possiable to make it "show if mem NOT set"?

Find