Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Copying to your ROM a song available on the Forum

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 237
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Test the ASM hack alone then test adding a new song. This is how you test. If you have problems with 2 hacks simultaneously, test one thing at the time. Your hex looks fine but I don't have time to look at it byte by byte.
  Find

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
(10-14-2018, 12:06 PM)emberling Wrote: Maybe try not moving the song pointers? If you are moving instrument data then there is no need to move song pointers, as they can just expand into the space that instrument data was previously using. I had a lot of trouble with getting relocated song pointers to work, and eventually realized that it was a totally unnecessary step and stopped trying and all my problems went away. I don't actually remember *what* the problems I was having were, though ...

Also, make sure it works without the new background music asm hack first before testing with it. Change $C2BF3B from 24 to 56 and get into a battle, for example.

And make sure the battle you're using for testing actually has music normally!

Wow, you are absolutely right!  Step #3 is redundant if you have to move the instrument data (except for increasing the songs from 55 to 56).

Unfortunately though, I still can't get the track to play.  The overworld theme continues playing in the battle without interruption (like it would on the Veldt).  I tried this test on a vanilla 1.0 ROM, and I used your idea by changing the main battle theme from 24 to 56 at $C2BF3B.

(10-14-2018, 12:11 PM)madsiur Wrote: Test the ASM hack alone then test adding a new song. This is how you test. If you have problems with 2 hacks simultaneously, test one thing at the time. Your hex looks fine but I don't have time to look at it byte by byte.

I did test your hack first. It works fine.  I guess you didn't see my edit last night to my post?  I put up a bunch of screenshots underlining each byte I changed so you didn't have to go through my code byte by byte.  Since emberling pointed out that I no longer have to move the song pointers, some of this code has changed in the screenshots, but I will repost them with some new questions to make sure I did this right.

Ignore the location on this screenshot, since I have now moved it back to the original place, but is my code underlined at the bottom correct? This is supposed to point to the new song data, but I want to make sure the format is correct. See the next screenshot for the song data location.
[Image: cLYzkBT.jpg]

The song data that I'm trying to add (the location is underlined):
[Image: mA3MpXM.jpg]

The new song ID limit changed to 56:
[Image: e8v1bLY.jpg]

This is where I relocated the instrument code (location underlined).
[Image: DHpphk5.jpg]

This is the very end of the Instrument code.  The underlined part at the end of the block is the 32 bytes of code for the new song I added.  Is this the right place for it?
[Image: DFUoEAf.jpg]

This is where I changed the reference to the new location of the instrument block:
[Image: mB5OBaz.jpg]
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Your new song ID should be $55 and not $56. Sorry for misleading.

Edit: Also if you plan on expanding dialogs with FF3usME, the $F0 bank is not the good place to put stuff since that is the bank used by the dialog expansion.
  Find

Status
None
(10-14-2018, 01:12 PM)madsiur Wrote: Your new song ID should be $55 and not $56. Sorry for misleading.

Edit: Also if you plan on expanding dialogs with FF3usME, the $F0 bank is not the good place to put stuff since that is the bank used by the dialog expansion.

LOL, I knew it would be something simple like that!  I actually did try song 55 at one point during testing, but the game crashed, and now I know it's because I didn't have tsushiy's instruments.  I attempted a different track later that would have worked without his instruments, but then I was using ID 56 to test only (If I had tried 55, we wouldn't have gone through all this).  Basically, I just got very unlucky during the testing.  Hah.

I don't plan on expanding the dialog at this time, but where do you I suggest I place the instrument data to be on the safe side?  You never know where my hack might take me later on!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-14-2018, 01:42 PM)Lightning Wrote: I don't plan on expanding the dialog at this time, but where do you I suggest I place the instrument data to be on the safe side?  You never know where my hack might take me later on!

Anywhere except bank $F0 would do, I think $F1 is also used for some FF3usME expansion but I don't recall exactly.
  Find

Status
None
Dang, I just realized that Tsushiy's instrument patch conflicts with many of the patches I have added to my hack.  That's a problem, because lots of the songs I want to use require his instruments.  Madsiur, I see that you created that patch - is there a way to make it in asm format so I can relocate the data somewhere else? 

I am actually wondering if Tsushiy's patch does exactly what I already did by moving the instrument data somewhere else. If that is the case, can't I just copy/paste the instrument bytes to the end of the data I already relocated?  Similar to what I would do with an inst.bin file.

(10-14-2018, 01:58 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 01:42 PM)Lightning Wrote: I don't plan on expanding the dialog at this time, but where do you I suggest I place the instrument data to be on the safe side?  You never know where my hack might take me later on!

Anywhere except bank $F0 would do, I think $F1 is also used for some FF3usME expansion but I don't recall exactly.

Ok, I will move it soon!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(10-14-2018, 02:05 PM)Lightning Wrote: Madsiur, I see that you created that patch - is there a way to make it in asm format so I can relocate the data somewhere else? 

I don't have a ASM file of the patch.

(10-14-2018, 02:05 PM)Lightning Wrote: I am actually wondering if Tsushiy's patch does exactly what I already did by moving the instrument data somewhere else. If that is the case, can't I just copy/paste the instrument bytes to the end of the data I already relocated?  Similar to what I would do with an inst.bin file.

Did you look at the readme? It say exactly what the patch move and where. It does not touch instrument data for songs, it move BRR samples and some data specific to samples.
  Find

Status
None
(10-14-2018, 02:13 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 02:05 PM)Lightning Wrote: Madsiur, I see that you created that patch - is there a way to make it in asm format so I can relocate the data somewhere else? 

I don't have a ASM file of the patch.

(10-14-2018, 02:05 PM)Lightning Wrote: I am actually wondering if Tsushiy's patch does exactly what I already did by moving the instrument data somewhere else. If that is the case, can't I just copy/paste the instrument bytes to the end of the data I already relocated?  Similar to what I would do with an inst.bin file.

Did you look at the readme? It say exactly what the patch move and where. It does not touch instrument data for songs, it move BRR samples and some data specific to samples.

Ah, I see now what this patch does.  It actually expands the ROM and places the new samples at the bottom.  In fact, it places the new samples in the F0 bank where you told me not to place my stuff, but that's ok.  I will just move my instrument/song data lower down in order to use this instrument patch!

Edit: I was mistaken actually. The instrument patch does not use the F0 bank. It uses the F1 bank. Just thought I would make that correction.
  Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Mental-Break
(10-14-2018, 02:05 PM)Lightning Wrote: Dang, I just realized that Tsushiy's instrument patch conflicts with many of the patches I have added to my hack.  That's a problem, because lots of the songs I want to use require his instruments.  Madsiur, I see that you created that patch - is there a way to make it in asm format so I can relocate the data somewhere else? 
Feel free to ask for songs to be reworked to *not* require his instruments, if that works better for you.

It's probably not that difficult to adjust the instrument patch the old fashioned way, but if it helps, I should be able to whip up custom instrument patches for any arbitrary parameters you need pretty quickly using nascentorder. Never really tested that as an ips working around other hacks, but it should work in theory. So we could set you up with something that takes up less space, located wherever, and possibly combining samples for tsushiy's songs with ones used by my _enh versions (there is a lot of overlap between those sample sets, but about 50% are different).
  Find

Status
None
(10-14-2018, 04:43 PM)emberling Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 02:05 PM)Lightning Wrote: Dang, I just realized that Tsushiy's instrument patch conflicts with many of the patches I have added to my hack.  That's a problem, because lots of the songs I want to use require his instruments.  Madsiur, I see that you created that patch - is there a way to make it in asm format so I can relocate the data somewhere else? 
Feel free to ask for songs to be reworked to *not* require his instruments, if that works better for you.

It's probably not that difficult to adjust the instrument patch the old fashioned way, but if it helps, I should be able to whip up custom instrument patches for any arbitrary parameters you need pretty quickly using nascentorder. Never really tested that as an ips working around other hacks, but it should work in theory. So we could set you up with something that takes up less space, located wherever, and possibly combining samples for tsushiy's songs with ones used by my _enh versions (there is a lot of overlap between those sample sets, but about 50% are different).

I expanded my ROM, so I think I should be fine. I also don't think the instrument patch conflicts with any of my other hacks as I initially thought. I already tested on my real hardware, and the expanded ROM runs without problems so far.  Just to clarify though, the enhanced versions of your tracks work just fine with tsushiy's instrument patch, right?  You don't have your own instrument patch that conflicts with his, do you? I am considering using one or two of your battle themes from Mystic Quest!
  Find