Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Progress.

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
I realize that, compared to the hacks our members here are capable of, my work is easily reproduced and is small potatoes. However, this being my first-ever hack, I'm rather proud of my work. =)

When I first joined the forum, I stated in my initial post my intentions of switching palettes and other ideas. I was pointed toward FF3usME and given a few pointers. The rest is history.

Essentially, what I wound up doing was doing a nice palette swap of Leo and Edgar. FF3usME was great for this, as it made it "idiot-proof" and allowed me to do what I wanted to do. What I'm most proud of, though, is my rewrite of the script to fit the palette change as well as some of the mechanics therein. I'm also proud of the fact that (I feel) I kept the essence of the characters intact. I also made a passable chocobo-riding sprite for Leo.

Being that I essentially made Leo Edgar and vice-versa, I gave Leo the "Tools" command while still keeping "Shock" intact. It was an interesting choice on my part, I thought, because that means that Leo will NEVER learn magic. Essentially, he's going to be a physical crusher in battle, especially in the early game, but he'll be more of a niche character later on. For example, you'll really want him around in fights when you need to deal large amounts of damage in a short amount of time, but in healing-intensive fights (or the Tower of Fanatics), he won't be much use at all.

The hack isn't ready for other people to take a look just yet (in my own testing, I've made things REALLY easy so that I can check out the script to see how it fits within the actual scope of the game), but I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far.

Upcoming additions:
1) Once the script is finished to my satisfaction, I'm going to ramp up the difficulty. Nothing ridiculous (though I have some fun ideas for Monster-in-a-Box fights), but boss fights will require more tactics and perhaps a little more leveling.
2) I'm going to figure out a logical way to make it possible to get the Ragnarok sword AND Magicite. I stress the word "logical" here; I know I could simply stick it in somewhere.
3) In keeping with my palette swap of Leo and Edgar, I'm going to teach myself some event editing to alter Edgar's reaction when Sabin meets him later in the game.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
I have a complete bin file for Leo if you want

send me a msg with your email and I can send it your way

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC