Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Hello! Ready to learn to hack!

Status
None
Not sure this is in the right spot...
Hello everyone! After watching various youtubers make Final Fantasy hacking videos for FF6, I wanted to try learn ROM hacking myself to see how to much work goes into ROM hacking. I saw some of Zeemis's videos and I was to try to make my own. :p

I am just stuck on a few things, I was about to download the tool to begin hacking, but I can't modify a game I don't have. Could somebody point me in the right direction to give me for an Emulator and an FF6 ROM (I know there could be issues here...)?

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 88
Status
None
what do you want to do specifically

its all 1 step @ a time regardless of what u want done

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
(11-08-2011, 05:28 PM)Leviathan Wrote: Could somebody point me in the right direction to give me for an Emulator and an FF6 ROM (I know there could be issues here...)?

I think asking for ROMs here on this forum is against the rules. So try --> clicking here.

As for the emulator, there are a ton of thoughts on which one is the best. So you'll need to try each one to determine which one you like better. I prefer SNES9x myself. I used to use ZSNES but found it's sound engine to be lacking. BSNES is definitely the best with being the most accurate but is system intensive for older systems and the GUI/menus are horrendous. Check, www.zophar.net for the latest emulators.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(11-09-2011, 01:10 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote: I prefer SNES9x myself. I used to use ZSNES but found it's sound engine to be lacking.

Quoted for truth. Avoid Zsnes if you can't tolerate the grossly inaccurate sound engine emulation.
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Status
Traitor
(11-09-2011, 02:20 AM)the_randomizer Wrote:
(11-09-2011, 01:10 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote: I prefer SNES9x myself. I used to use ZSNES but found it's sound engine to be lacking.

Quoted for truth. Avoid Zsnes if you can't tolerate the grossly inaccurate sound engine emulation.

On the contrary, ZSnes's savestates (.zst) are extremely useful for hacking graphics because they give you the palettes needed to see what you're doing. :p

Aside from that, I would also avoid Zsnes.
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Status
None
Everyone's hating on ZSNES! Sure it's inaccurate, but it's the only emulator I could run on my Pentium 1 (133MHz) with sound back in 1999.

Sure, speed isn't nearly as important these days, but what they did back then was simply amazing. Hell, I tried bsnes for the first time about a month ago, and while I appreciate the accuracy of the emulation, getting 20fps (and later 30fps after playing with some video options) is horrible on my quad core Phenom CPU with 4GB RAM, and 2 9600gt video cards in SLI.

Even now I continue to use ZSNES as my main emulator Smile

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I personally love BSNES. Hence why I'm making a "translation" for FF6 that's decent and has no bugs on BSNES.

BTW: Welcome.

[Image: AegisBanner01.png]

Status
None
(11-09-2011, 02:26 PM)McPhizzle Wrote: Everyone's hating on ZSNES! Sure it's inaccurate, but it's the only emulator I could run on my Pentium 1 (133MHz) with sound back in 1999.

Sure, speed isn't nearly as important these days, but what they did back then was simply amazing. Hell, I tried bsnes for the first time about a month ago, and while I appreciate the accuracy of the emulation, getting 20fps (and later 30fps after playing with some video options) is horrible on my quad core Phenom CPU with 4GB RAM, and 2 9600gt video cards in SLI.

Even now I continue to use ZSNES as my main emulator Smile

The sound inaccuracies (notable Final Fantasy VI) don't bother you at all or make your ears bleed? I'm impressed Tongue I point that out every time my brother uses Zsnes. But I digress; Zsnes is pretty dang stable, it has high ROM compatibility, a user-friendly GUI, and a nice built-in cheat search engine. Heck, it was the first Snes emulator I used back in 1999 that had audio and ran at a fairly nice speed on my Pentium I MMX 233MHz CPU.

I'm trying harder not to hate Zsnes, because, as was previously stated, it's excellent for ROM palette hacking (and maybe some other hacking areas as well). What bothers me is when hackers (not here, but elsewhere) are hellbent on convincing people (like me) that Zsnes is the only emulator you can run their ROM hacks with, and that anything else won't work.

No emulator has been, or ever will be perfect, but they can sure as heck get close. I hope that Zsnes 2.0 gets released before the end of the year, because not only will it use Blaarg's cycle-accurate SPC700/S-SMP core (like Snes9x and Bsnes), but will have a overhauled GUI and then some. We've been waiting over four years since 1.51 was released. Again, I'm not trying to hate on Zsnes, because I shouldn't care what other people think of it. If they want to use it, that's fine by me. Snes9x is my emulator of choice as Zsnes is my brother's emulator of choice.

The poor/severely outdated SPC700 core that Zsnes suffers from is the ONLY reason why I can't stand using it. Over the past couple of years, I've listened to and compared SPC700 audio between Snes9x/Bsnes, and a real Snes console and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between the two emulators and the real console. Zsnes on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb. Just my opinion.

I dare not say anything about Bsnes...yeah, voiced my opinion and Byuu banned me from going to his website ever again. Not sure how he found out. (*cough* proxies are wonderful *cough*)
  Find

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Status
None
(11-10-2011, 12:03 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: The sound inaccuracies (notable Final Fantasy VI) don't bother you at all or make your ears bleed? I'm impressed Tongue I point that out every time my brother uses Zsnes. But I digress; Zsnes is pretty dang stable, it has high ROM compatibility, a user-friendly GUI, and a nice built-in cheat search engine. Heck, it was the first Snes emulator I used back in 1999 that had audio and ran at a fairly nice speed on my Pentium I MMX 233MHz CPU.

I'm trying harder not to hate Zsnes, because, as was previously stated, it's excellent for ROM palette hacking (and maybe some other hacking areas as well). What bothers me is when hackers (not here, but elsewhere) are hellbent on convincing people (like me) that Zsnes is the only emulator you can run their ROM hacks with, and that anything else won't work.

No emulator has been, or ever will be perfect, but they can sure as heck get close. I hope that Zsnes 2.0 gets released before the end of the year, because not only will it use Blaarg's cycle-accurate SPC700/S-SMP core (like Snes9x and Bsnes), but will have a overhauled GUI and then some. We've been waiting over four years since 1.51 was released. Again, I'm not trying to hate on Zsnes, because I shouldn't care what other people think of it. If they want to use it, that's fine by me. Snes9x is my emulator of choice as Zsnes is my brother's emulator of choice.

The poor/severely outdated SPC700 core that Zsnes suffers from is the ONLY reason why I can't stand using it. Over the past couple of years, I've listened to and compared SPC700 audio between Snes9x/Bsnes, and a real Snes console and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between the two emulators and the real console. Zsnes on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb. Just my opinion.

I dare not say anything about Bsnes...yeah, voiced my opinion and Byuu banned me from going to his website ever again. Not sure how he found out. (*cough* proxies are wonderful *cough*)
No no, my ears do bleed haha. I just love the smooth framerate I get when using it. I use bsnes for testing patches of course, but when I'm playing, I prefer the smooth framerate of Zsnes over the better sound of Bsnes. I guess that doesn't even happen anymore as lately I've been playing SNES games on the Wii instead.

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Status
None
I just avoid Bsnes altogether...as nice as complete accuracy is, the system requirements are barely beyond my PC's reach; even using the performance build (which sacrifices some accuracy for a speed boost) doesn't help me that much, so I use Snes9x 1.53 and Snes9xGx Wii (both of which use Blaarg's SPC700/S-SMP core) instead. Snes9x 1.53 has a smooth framerate like Zsnes.
  Find